What's new
What's new

What's "MAXEL" tool steel?

goldiver

Aluminum
I was making extra AXA tool holders for my lathe out of CRS when the guy I mentor with at the H.S. asked "why don't you make them from tool steel, like maxel?"...."What's maxel" I asked, and he told me it was a manufacturers name for one of their specialty steels, but he didn't know who.....He gave me a couple remnants he had for me to try.....

This stuff machines like a dream compared to anything I've used before.....(after all, I'm a home-shop trained guy, what do I know?)It's hard, but cuts smoothly with carbide OR HSS, leaving a near mirror finish.....I've looked in machinerys handbook and on the web, but I can't seem to find any info as to it's composition, or what other steel it's comparable to.....

Soooo, have any of you heard of maxel?....

TIA, Jim

substantially the same thing as pre h-t 4140/4150. A toolholder would be a very good application for it because the contact surfaces should hold up better over time than 1018, due to the increased hardness.

Thanks Mtlmchr, Willie and John;

That sure was fast on the answers.....Now I'll have to call metal outlets to check availability and cost.....After reading the specs I'm afraid it's going to be pricey, but if so, 4140/4150 won't be a bad choice.....

Thanks again, Jim

Back