What's new
What's new

9" import "toolroom" lathe

Depends on your definition of "toolroom". Could be a room where you store hammers.

RXR_toolbox_old_hammers_16459903_d.jpg

Seller pegs my FOS meter in the red zone. Says it cost them over $2,200...looks to me like one HF sells for 799 bucks.

Also, his statement, "The machine has been the only lathe in our R&D" is interesting. Wonder what their R&D was involved in...candle molds or rebar designs ?

You nailed it don.

+_______________________________________________________________+
|....................................WADERS REQUIRED.......................................|
|................................................................................................................|
|BOOTS REQUIRED..................................................LIFEVEST REQUIRED|
|....................................................................../.........................................|
|..................................................................../...........................................|
|................................................................../.............................................|
|................................................................/...............................................|
|............................................................../.................................................|
|............................................................/...................................................|
|........................................................../.....................................................|
|......................................................../.......................................................|
|....................................................[.].........................................................|
+_______________________________________________________________+

Got one- a 918 with a Myford nose to accept its chucks etc.

You will notice its relatively high lowest speed of 130 rpm. Presently, I am trying to get a 3 phase converter to drop the speed.

Look again, the tailstock poppet is too short.

Look again, the top slide wont do Morse tapers.

Its like the village bicycle- its been around the block quite a number of times

Pay shirt button money for it- and enjoy!

Norman

I'm disapointed, he omitted "precision" from the description.

As far as the Precision is concerned- if you are addressing me as " he", it was pretty near Slesingers Limits- for a lathe but not for a precision one.

I refered to a shirt button price- and refuse to measure the tool makers buttons in this connection.
The most important thing is that these lathes have almost killed the UK machinery market and the story suggests that they will kill yours.

Norman

It all depends on what kinda tools you're talking about in that toolroom. As was posted above, a toolroom to some people might be a place to store hammers, and to others it might be a place to store your master gage blocks or anything in between. For instance, when I started off on my toolmaking career, toolmaking consisted of plastic injection mold making, period. Not a lathe in sight. All square blocks, grinding, mill, EDM work and 3D geometry. The word "toolroom" when applied as it is nowdays in advertising and in common usage is supposed to denote high precision, which to me obviates any relationship with 99/44-100s of manual lathes, in particular junk sold on Ebay.
That'd make for an interesting discussion. What is toolmaking and what isn't toolmaking.

Back