Largest Manufacturing Technology
Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is the advantage of air/pneumatic-powered over electric-powered tools?
    With air tools they will be more compact when
    comparing them to a like tool powered by a motor.
    So they are basically light-weight, run cooler,
    more powerful and last longer than their
    electrical counter parts of the same physical
    size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The downside is ineffeciency. It takes about a 5hp air compressor to keep a 1.5hp grinder running. That gets kinda expensive real quick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And noisy too.

cheers,
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And noisy too.
    True, but don't you feel more manly using the
    noisy tools compared to the quiet ones?

Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I asked about the same question a few months ago. Here are the answers i got:
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ub...48.html#000000

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Panza, I remember reading your thread when it was originally posted. John in MA, I tried a couple of those HD Husky grinders for "loaners" at work, so I didn't have to loan out my Dotcos, and found them SEVERELY lacking. They had decent torque and rpm level, but they were loud as all get out (earplugs with an air tool?! not with the Dotco), vibrated like an S.O.B. even with the same tool mounted as in the Dotco, and to top it off, while most grinders get colder while in use due to the compressed air travelling through them and out the exhaust at high velocity, the Husky tools bearings got so gol-darned hot after a few minutes of use that you couldn't even hold the darned things. I definitely have to denounce Husky when compared to "quality" air tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dotco's are also nice because their parts are almost all interchangable. I didn't hear anyone mention the 100k RPM dotco, with the turbine motor for 1/8 burs. For all you people who use Dotco tools you should give this one a try.

I work for a distributor out of CT, and I sell and rebuild Cooper air tools (we also sell and rebuild dynabrade tools, and some lower end cheapos). Generally there is a flat rate charge of $95, which is about a 1/3 of the cost of a brand new tool. If any of you have tools lying around that you are thinking about replacing, I can rebuild them for you. When they are rebuilt it is just as good as a new tool! Also, if any of you are thinking about tooling up- I would be able to set up sort of a demo where you would be able to try out some Cooper tools in your shop to see how you like them for free. If any of you are interested in anything I just said send me an email- [email protected]

Hope to here from you guys soon!

Country
    POLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm working on drilling platform for past 10 years and for pneumatics uses our company have been using only sumake air tools, and I must say we are all happy working with these tools because their quality is excellent, it is not something that breaks all the time (im that kind of person that likes to use same tool everyday) and their grips are extraordinary.

Anyone reading this message might don't know this company (I'm speaking about SUMAKE) because it is mostly popular in Europe where I work here is link to them Air Tools | Industrial Tools | E-Pneumatic Store this is how these tools look and their specifications.

And to my knowledge parts for these tools are easily found, and availability is always almost the most important thing, at least in the company where I work for...

Hope my post helps somebody

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Depending on what air tools your talking about, looking at it from impact gun, small grinders, air ratchets etc. I have used just about all of them and IR has always been my favorite, the IR titanium impact in any size is by far more powerful and reliable than any other brand I have used however having said that customer service is not great but you probably will never need it. I will never go with snap-on air tools ever again. I have recently been using dynabrade abrasive belt tools and they are very good but you pay for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Revived old post alert!