What's new
What's new

Where in the UK?

op910au

Plastic
Anyone from the UK? I'm from Australia.

I just found out I have to travel to England to do a job in Sheffield next week. Its a bit of an emergency, so they haven't given me much notice. Hopefully after I finish I can spend some time seeing relatives in London and Liverpool, as well as old shipmates in the North East.

Any recommendations of good modelmaker or toolshops to visit in the North or London? I don't plan on bringing back a milling machine etc, but hopefully can slip a few things in the luggage coming home!!

Also plan on spending at least a day at the Maritime museum in Liverpool....last was there in '95 and spent "days" there and still wanted more!!

Thanks
Rod.

Rod,
A good place to try is
RDG Tools
35 West End,
Hebden Bridge,
Halifax
HX7 8UQ
Tel: 01422 845222

Not too far from Sheffield and its full of literally 1,000's of tools.
Reasonable prices and they often have gems in as regards hard to find bits.
RDG don't have a web site

TEE publishing near Coventry is also worth a 1/2 day. Well laid out bookshop with everything sorted neatly into categories.
http://www.fotec.co.uk/mehs/tee/

If you are travelling down the M1 pop in if you want. We are about 3 miles off junction 24 or J25.

John S.

"Riley's Tools" is another goldmine of tools.
It's on Attercliffe Road in Sheffield.
Just take plenty of money with you though !!
John's advice on RDG is good, you will not be dissapointed.

Thanks John and pgp,

John thank you ror your offer for me to pop in.
Well the way things are going I'll be arriving at Heathrow Thursday afternoon and be heading straight for Sheffield to get them going. Probably over the weekend. Then shoot across the Pennines to Liverpool to see the in laws. Probably head NE and drop into RDG on my way to see a mate on the Tyne.

John I will give you a ring and try to call in for a cuppa on the way south if its convenient for you.

By the way have you heard of a place called Ramco Ltd in Lincolnshire? Supposedly govt surplus instruments etc but also hand tools. See their web page..http://www.ramco.co.uk/

Thanks and regards,
Rod.

Back