What's new
What's new

OT- Copier that can print 11x17 ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Minolta that can scan 11 x 17 and reduce it to letter size, but wondering if there are any copiers now less than $1,500 that can also print 11 x 17 ?

Ironically I have one that can do this, but it's an older Canon color copier and is currently broke and cost a fortune to fix (and even if fixed it's so quirky it would probably break down again a month later) .....so rather just buy a new black and white...

Does it have to be color? HP Laser Jet 5SiMx (black & white)) is the Bridgeport of printers. I see them going for about
$200 in many surplus stores. Replacement parts are available. Trays take 11x17. Large in comparison
to the throw-away new printers they expect people to buy today.

I have a HP 1220C that will print up to 13x19. I bought it in 1998 and it works fine. They don't have a program for XP but there are drivers for it so it works so far.

Do you want me to print them for you?

Does it have to be color? HP Laser Jet 5SiMx is the Bridgeport of printers. I see them going for about
$200 in many surplus stores. Replacement parts are available. Trays take 11x17. Large in comparison
to the throw-away new printers they expect people to buy today.

1. Re color read my last sentence :rolleyes5:

2. I'm talking COPIERS, not printers :rolleyes5:

I have a HP 1220C that will print up to 13x19. I bought it in 1998 and it works fine. They don't have a program for XP but there are drivers for it so it works so far.

Do you want me to print them for you?

I said COPIER, not printer...do not want a printer....need stand alone device that scans and prints...i.e. a copier. Ideally dry toner, not ink jet.

We went to Ricoh network printers / copiers / Scanners / Fax 2 years ago and have had very good luck with them. In the engineering group, there are about 25 people using the Aficio MP-5000. That's about a $10K printer/copier which is probably more than you want to spend. The MP-1600 can be bought for less than $1K and does everything.
http://www.digitalsystemcopiers.com/Ricoh Aficio 1600 Copier.html
Have you thought of leasing one from an office supply company? We've found that most of the large printers start having problems after 2-3 years. So, except for the desktop stuff, everything else is on a 3 year lease with a service agreement.
JR

Are you sure that can PRINT 11 x 17, and not just scan 11 x 17 ? I can't image that little desktop thing holding 11 x 17 sheets...but maybe...

That's what the description says, when read:
Print, copy, scan and fax on a wide range of paper sizes up to 11" x 17". The MFC-6890cdw also includes duplex printing at 8.5" x 11", wireless...

On reading description it says 11x 17 nfrom document feeder, doesn't exactly say the paper tray cn handle that... A call to CDW would clear that up, good people up there
Hope this helps,
Del

We went to Ricoh network printers / copiers / Scanners / Fax 2 years ago and have had very good luck with them.
Does it have to be new? I bought a 2 year old Ricoh 11X17 copier 7 years ago, off lease from a hospital, and it's still going strong. It's hooked to the network as a printer too. Does duplex, booklets, etc which the small ones struggle with.

There are screaming deals to be had these days. I bought a near new Ricoh 11X17 color laser for $850 in December, Saved more than that in printing costs by using it so far.

Does it have to be new?
There are screaming deals to be had these days. I bought a near new Ricoh 11X17 color laser for $850 in December, Saved more than that in printing costs by using it so far.

No, used would be ok...just more trouble to find appropriate used one around here. I know what you mean about copier depreciation....that Canon color laser I mentioned I have that is broke cost something like $18,000 new in the mid 1990's...I bought it for around $10,000 then as a demo unit... and now it's worth probably zero even if it worked !

But when it works, I swear the actual print quality is still superior on that old Canon than any ink jet or dry toner printer today that one buys at typical office store...plus it's way faster.

I have had good luck with looking for things like this at used computer and office machine recyclers. Big business in this thing, we have one close by (wincycle) that takes old computers, fax machines and copiers, refurbishes them from other old machines and resells them for really great prices. Our computer repair and facility has gotten a replacement for an old copier at a place like this - Cannon style. I use it for my 11X17 printing.

I would not know how to start looking for a place like this in your area, but they are all over the place in New England.

If you do with a scan on a flat bed scanner and then a printer, HP and such makes great color printers that will do this, good cost.

If you do with a scan on a flat bed scanner and then a printer, HP and such makes great color printers that will do this, good cost.
Scanners are great for many things but in this application is a PITA since with a scanner a computer has to get involved...too slow, too many mouse clicks, etc, etc.. So when I specficially said *copier* there is good reason I said copier.

The only scanners I like are ones like my HP Scanjet N6010, where you can stack 100 pages and hit one button and it will scan both sides simutaneously at "copier speeds" and turn the 100 pages into a PDF file in nothing flat...man, I love that one. But flat bed scanners... what a slow PITA...only use 'em when there is no other choice.

try talking to a local copier supply/ service outfit. They frequently have heavy duty machines that are 'used up' for commercial purposes[IOW cannot do a 1000 pages a day anymore]

can be had for short money

I will check that N6010, I have four file cabinets full of old typed up stuff and hand drawn items.

Good luck getting that copier, maybe even try for one with a computer input to act as a printer (that works great!!!!).

I will check that N6010, I have four file cabinets full of old typed up stuff and hand drawn items.
I highly recommend it. So nice to be able to scan manuals and such just as they are...printed on both sides...at such high speeds and both sides at once. The feed speeds are dependant on the resolution, such that if you can use 150 dpi or less, the paper just flies thru there....will scan 50 pages in the time it takes to scan 4 pages on a flat bed scanner.

You are better off getting a scanner and a printer. Jeez, what does this question
have to do with machines or tools anyway.:sleepy:
For already mentioned reasons, I would be much worse off getting a scanner and a printer, so I have no idea what planet you are on. As to what it has to do with machine tools...it's for copying electrical schematics and parts drawings....for machine tools. :dopeslap:

Can the N6010 also be used somehow for folded 11X17 brochures and manuals that cannot be separated into 8.5" wide pages, or do you need a separate flatbed for that?

Back