What's new
What's new

1045 large round source?

N54

Plastic
I am in need of a short section (2") of 1045 cold rolled 8" round (7.2" finished od). As far as I can tell from looking, round 1045 cold rolled isn't readily available over 6" OD. Anyone have a source for this, or even know if this is available?

Option #2 is to start with cut plate (8"x8"x2"), but this appears to be uncommon as well.

Also, I have checked with engineering, and hot rolled is not allowable :angry:

Larger size bar is normally forged and debarked. It is not rolled. It is hammer forged then turned in a huge lathe between centers.

I pick up large diameter 1045 bar from my supplier frequently and have never seen cold rolled anything in their many millions of pounds of new steel bar inventory (they are 3"+ only)

You could probably get TGP, but I can't see why anyone would make 6" 1045 in cold rolled.

Sunbelt turret for unfinished bar cut however you want.

You might be able to get an 8" round burned out of 2" abrasion resistant, also known as "plow steel". Different suppliers may have their own brand name for it, but it is 1045. If surface finish on O.D. is important, have it burned out oversize and turn the O.D. Can also have it faced for a nice finish. I'm pretty sure a burnout will run a heck of a lot cheaper than a slice of big round stock

To be fair, the print call s for "cold drawn", so hammer forged may be an option.

OD is important, but this is a blank that I will turn to finished OD and thickness/length.

Did you get any reason for hot rolled not being allowed?

A 2" plate of 1045 would be hot rolled as well.

Would turned and ground work? I'm fairly sure I've seen 7.9375 1045 precision ground in some larger stuff at the local saw mill.
It won't say "hot rolled" on the spec sheet so the engineers might be okay with it.

Cold rolled is a bullshit spec anyways, because it is drawn, not rolled, a completely different process. In any 8" bar, most of it is going to be 'hot rolled' inside the surface, unless the bar is heat treated.

I agree Hu, ....someone is talking twat.
Make that (at least) three of us.

Cold rolled / drawn / finished-however isn't much use - especially above a couple of inches - UNLESS "the plan" excludes OD machining altogether, as-in simply meant to be treated chemically, coated, embedded, etc.

In thicker sections, If OD turning is known in advance to be on the menu? HR or forged, please.

Also, I have checked with engineering, and hot rolled is not allowable

Maybe he needs to be asked if he is aware that all or most of the benefits of "cold rolling" an 8" diameter will be in the chip pan at 7.2" OD

Maybe he needs to be asked if he is aware that all or most of the benefits of "cold rolling" an 8" diameter will be in the chip pan at 7.2" OD

Worse than that. Peeling-off that much of the most highly-stressed outer "skin" runs far the higher risk of distortion of what is left vs HRS.

Boring it, OD intact, one might could see some retained advantage, but even so... HRS and enough for a clean-up for me, thanks. Lower risk of unwanted surprises.

In a case like this I would ask why cold rolled or for hardness specs at a minimum. It may well be that the engineer wants a normalized piece of steel. I suspect the engineer doesn't know much about steel.

Tom

In a case like this I would ask why cold rolled or for hardness specs at a minimum. It may well be that the engineer wants a normalized piece of steel. I suspect the engineer doesn't know much ^^^ of anything ^^^ about steel.

Tom

There. My 2CW.

WTF!

It is covered in Dad's old collitch properties of materials & metallurgy texts from the 1920's, so how hard can THAT be, what with all the info right at keyboard-tip on today's 'net ?

"Engineering" may have got involved but its pretty certain that this part wasn't engineered. Just drawn and the usual type and number of steel specified. Regardless of how sensible or available that specification is given the size of material involved.

Yet another example of the upwards conflation of jobs made possible by computers. Odds are that whoever drew it would have barely made tracer back in the day. Approval and release for production process? Wazzatt! All the lines join up so it must be OK.

Given the amount of stuff that is basically just drawn rather than properly engineered. By relatively inexperience lower level staff too. I figure there ought to be a half decent market for a materials selector add-in to the CAD program that you could just throw a drawing at and do a tick box exercise to select an economic materials based on what the part is intended for. Maybe with an advanced version able to locate expensive to make features for possible revision. Online search for price'n delivery too. Who has objectively got the time, staff or budget to do this sort of stuff properly when its not the main business.

Clive

Last edited:

Back