What's new
What's new

1075 blue tempered spring steel

Kevin Q

Aluminum
I have been looking, thus far in vain, for some blue tempered spring steel, 1074/1075, in a 1/4" thickness x 2" wide strip. Everything I can find is maxed out at .125" in thickness. Width seems pretty easily obtainable, thickness seems to be the limit. Anyone have a tip for where I can find this material? Thanks much, Kevin Q.

Still not having much luck on my end, am hoping for a miracle on the Practical Machinist side.

Last edited:
McMaster has .1875" in sheets. Generally when the thing I want doesn't seem to exist, or would require a mill run, I ask myself if maybe I'm asking for the wrong thing. Can you describe more the nature of your problem?

I am making some chisels. Currently from 1/4" 1075 annealed strips, then I use a trip hammer on to thin and widen one end. I rough sand to shape, heat and quench, then draw in molten lead at 700f. Then finish sand. It is too much work. I would like to get 2" wide mat'l. already tempered for the wider end, stack several together in a vise and machine 3/8ths off either side to within 1 1/2" of the end for the handle, then angle the 2" wide area remaining back to the 1 1/4" wide handle on the belt sander. Then I would partly machine the bevel in the chisel and finish by sanding it. I sand wet to avoid annealing problems with the temper already existing in the hardened and tempered part. Use 36 grit ceramic belts. I want to avoid the hardening and tempering as it is the most time consuming and expensive. I don't know of an easier way, just need to find the mat'l. Thanks, KQ

You could buy replacement springs for a trailer.

Another option would be to buy something made out of tool steel and rework it or just buy some tool steel and heat treat it yourself.

Are other steels an option? Like 1095 or a tool steel or even 4140? It's interesting that googling 1075 doesn't show up hardness values readily. i.e. I just found them for 1095, 4140 and A2 on first tries and nothing for 1075. I appreciate 1075 is primarily a spring steel so perhaps for a chisel something designed to harden more would be good.

The chisels are for delaminating rock layers at a fossil quarry. 1075 is hardened and tempered to R47C. I currently harden and temper my own but I am trying to eliminate those two time-consuming steps. I will look into 1080 but I haven't found any of that in thicker condition yet. KQ

There are some minor advantages to using 1090-1095 steel. This is a eutectic steel. Carbon amounts in this percentage and quenched for hardening the carbon and iron freezes at the same time to create a homogenous structure in a plain carbon steel. There isn't free iron or free carbon coming out within the steel.

There are some minor advantages to using 1090-1095 steel. This is a eutectic steel. Carbon amounts in this percentage and quenched for hardening the carbon and iron freezes at the same time to create a homogenous structure in a plain carbon steel. There isn't free iron or free carbon coming out within the steel.

To be a stickler on the metallurgy, 1074 is a eutectoid steel - at the point where there should be no free ferrite or carbide on the grain boundaries. 1090-1095 are hypereutectic steels that have grain boundary carbides. They tend to be hard, but brittle (think files). The C-Fe eutectic point is ~4.2 Wt% C and is a cast iron and not a steel. A eutectoid transformation is a solid to solid transformation, a eutectic transformation is a liquid to solid transformation.

Interesting application. Why does the steel alloy matter at all? Do they perform better when somewhat softer than normal chisels? It's all the same modulus so transmitted shock should all be the same... ?

Back