What's new
What's new

11 mm Indexable Drill for Stainless

scratch built

Plastic
Looking for a solid, and non sandvik priced indexable drill. 11mm, will be drilling 17-4 H1150 to 2". Any recommendations?

Have to ask why do you want indexable drill?
Solid carbide is not that expensive yet in this size and with the price of 2 inserts you almost get solid carbide drill. Count in the extra 200 bucks for indexable body, lack of choices and probably less than stellar performance in 5x deep holes...

Have to ask why do you want indexable drill?
Solid carbide is not that expensive yet in this size and with the price of 2 inserts you almost get solid carbide drill. Count in the extra 200 bucks for indexable body, lack of choices and probably less than stellar performance in 5x deep holes...

I want to stay away from using a separate boring bar for finishing the ID of a blind hole. I'm hoping with an indexable drill, I can drill/bore with the same tool.

An Indexable 11mm Drill will be hard to find (like someone else said most start at 12mm)and I don't think it would hold up well for you in 17-4 H1150 at 2" deep. I wouldn't even recommend a 12mm indexable drill in this application as the inserts are small and then tend to go without any sign of wear wrecking your whole drill body.

At 5XD Depth I'd go with a Solid Carbide Coolant Fed Drill for 17-4 if there aren't many parts to run or a replaceable tip coolant fed drill for economy if you have a lot of parts to run and then come in with a boring bar (it will run much better this way). I can make it recommendation to you for either tool if you decide to go this route, just let me know. I know it would be 2 tools but it would run much better for you.

An Indexable 11mm Drill will be hard to find (like someone else said most start at 12mm)and I don't think it would hold up well for you in 17-4 H1150 at 2" deep. I wouldn't even recommend a 12mm indexable drill in this application as the inserts are small and then tend to go without any sign of wear wrecking your whole drill body.

At 5XD Depth I'd go with a Solid Carbide Coolant Fed Drill for 17-4 if there aren't many parts to run or a replaceable tip coolant fed drill for economy if you have a lot of parts to run and then come in with a boring bar (it will run much better this way). I can make it recommendation to you for either tool if you decide to go this route, just let me know. I know it would be 2 tools but it would run much better for you.

I'd love to see your recommendations on some drill and boring bar options.

I'd love to see your recommendations on some drill and boring bar options.

Anything bigger than 8mm is not going to fit and from common inserts you have either choice of CCMT or TCMT.
8mm boring bar with 50mm hangout calls for carbide shank and trough coolant to help to get out the chips.
I'd take TCMT for finishing as its less likely to smash chips to walls.
So make that E08K-STFCR-09 solid carbide boring bar with trough coolant holes until someone recommends something better...

No Problem Scratch Built! I'm not sure how far out you are boring but here is what I'd recommend:

Drill: 11mm Dia 5XD Coolant Fed with Drill Point for 17-4 Stainless
YG- DH45211 -Shop ToolHIT
*Run at 170 SFM (1500 RPM) & .004" IPR

Boring Bar:.410" Min Bore x 3/8" Shank x 6" OAL Carbide Coolant Fed for CCGT21.51 Inserts. F Dimension to centerline of bar is .203" so you can clean up drill point at bottom of bore.
E6M SCLCR2-23 - ToolHIT

Inserts for Boring Bar: I'm not sure of your corner rad callout but here is a .015" corner rad insert that holds up great in 17-4
CCGT21.51 MF PR1225 - Kyocera - Shop ToolHIT
*Run at 200SFM and .003" IPR at .008"-.020" DOC per side

Hopefully this helps.

Mike

Back