Thread: 1144 Round Rod

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like TG&P (turned, ground and polished) which is just a bearing fit quality finish. Still should work easily assuming it is 1144.
    The tooling looks ok. You should be able to do the majority of the turning and profiling with the diamond shaped insert. The boring bar looks fine, but I couldn't tell where you were using the threading insert

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
    I use 1144/stressproof often. Never ever came in shiny finish. When I started in a shop 40 years ago I learned about this stuff. Nice to machine, good mechanicals for how easy it is to machine. Case hardens well too. Never ever shiny bar though from the supplier..... Came out of the 1144 bin, LOL.
    I have a bunch of 7/8" round drops about 5 inches or so long. I could send you one in a priority mail flat rate box, and you could see how nice that stuff really is.
    [email protected]. Can you take Paypal? for your trouble? Thanks Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just taking a few pictures of some of the tool holders I use. I could go by a machine shop, there are not many, there are two auto engine re builders in town I might visit, and bring the piece of 1144? There are almost no machine shops here, because all businesses and companies have been here after 1960, and the manufacturers, mostly gambling devices, parts come from over seas. The two plating houses in town, send items out to other states.
    I am going to be tied up with some medical tests for the next few days, so may not have anything to add till then. But might try to order a bit of 4140 to see the difference.
    Thanks again to everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by todd1 View Post
    [email protected]. Can you take Paypal? for your trouble? Thanks Todd
    Todd,
    PM me your addr, and I'll throw some in the mail. Usually takes 2 days to LV from here.