What's new
What's new

Non-steel lathe backing plate?

borne2fly

Hot Rolled
My old 13" Leblond has a threaded spindle. I was wondering if I could make the backing plates out of something other than iron or steel ..... brass or aluminum maybe? Or at least make the threads out of something like that and fasten it into a steel backing plate? I have a number of tools that I swap out on the spindle and I wonder if softer threads might save wear & tear on the spindle. I don't imagine I'll ever be turning anything with enough force to strip out 2 1/8 x 5 tpi even if it's made of soft material. Any thoughts?

I think you're worrying a bit too much;)

CI has many advantages including damping vibrations.

Screw thread wear SHOULD be absolutely minimal....... IME damage is more likely to occur through not having clean threads.

That said, for one offs and oddballs, whatever gets you through the night, alu, brass, mild steel, I've used them all without problem.

would increase the risk if anything. Hard chips would easly inbed in the aluminum!

Hey everyone, thanks for the input. You're right, I'm going overboard on this. I'll just cut it out of cast. I didn't know cast damped vibrations, now I see why so many blank backing plates are cast.

LeBlond Backplate

My old 13" Leblond has a threaded spindle. I was wondering if I could make the backing plates out of something other than iron or steel ..... brass or aluminum maybe? Or at least make the threads out of something like that and fasten it into a steel backing plate? I have a number of tools that I swap out on the spindle and I wonder if softer threads might save wear & tear on the spindle. I don't imagine I'll ever be turning anything with enough force to strip out 2 1/8 x 5 tpi even if it's made of soft material. Any thoughts?

Hello: I have a 15" LeBlond with the same spindle thread as yours.. I have made several backplates for chucks from steel with no problem whatsoever.. I even made a steel insert for a faceplate so that I could use it on my LeBlond..
Cast iron is usually the metal of choice but I have had good luck with steel.. Regards; Mike

Back