What's new
What's new

2 x Kitagawa Chuck Cylinder seized, what am I missing?

Valtari

Plastic
Hi guys,

Bit of back story first...

We have a 2012 Mazak QTN200-II MSY. In 2016 the chuck cylinder seized while I was running off a batch of 100 parts in auto. Spindle was fine and Mazak replaced the chuck cylinder and draw tube and we were back up and running again.

We also have a 2015 Mazak QTN-II 250MY. Just last week, chuck cylinder seized again while running a warm-up MDI program ( just spins the chuck at 1500RPM for 15 mins).

Everyone I have spoken to about this says that it never happens, so for us to have 2 happen on relatively new machines is puzzling me.

I'll try and answer a few questions that might come up...

We cut only plastics and occasionally soft jaws (last time we cut them was well over a year ago)
We only tend to run the spindles at 2000 RPM max, any faster we get finish issues.
We always use appropriate spacers and spindle liners for any longer bars we are working on.
Every Christmas we break the machines down and give them a good clean. And get the full and interim services each year.

So my main question is why is this happening? I don't run the machines hard or what i would say "mis-use" them. I have had a couple of bumps at 25% Rapid and 1 or 2 billets fly out on me but never a massive 100% Rapid-to-the-chuck wreck.

Thanks for any help you can give or light you can shed on this issue.

Back