What's new
What's new

2005 6.0 L powerstroke good or bad??

true temper

Stainless
I am looking at a Ford truck with a 6.0 L powerstroke diesel in it. I believe some of the powerstrokes are good motors, and I have heard some are not so good. What's the scoop is the 6.0 a good one, or one to stay away from.

Unless you like tinkering, it is worth staying away from, they have numerous issues, mostly stemming from the egr system. If some of the necessary modifications have already been done they are ok engines.

About a year ago I almost pulled the trigger on a 06 quad cab 4x4 with a 6.0, then I found a 01 4x4 Quad Cab 7.3 with 25,000 miles so I ponced on it. If you can find a 7.3 with low enough miles you are better off imho.

What year is the truck you are looking at? If you are going to get a 6.0 find a 2005 so you can get the coil front end.

Our shop truck is an '05 6.0. Hasn't been a lot of trouble but I don't like it, esp. the lag when you step on it from a stop. I'd take a 7.3, even a non turbo pre-powerstroke, or a Cummins any day.

I checked another forum, pretty much what you guys said. 70% of the guys said stay away. Thats what's so good about being here you get the right answer most of the time. Thanks a bunch.

i worked in a ford dealership,the tech in the bay next to me did nothing but tear down 6.0L's. i learned the multistage turbos soot up and truck loses boost.unless you drive it like you stole it.the head bolts are weak and stretch if you drive it like you stole it. the intercoolers spring leaks.the egr as earlier mentioned go bad.
in cold climates the Fuel Injection Control Modules fail because they cant handle the glow plug amperage.the engine block seems soild,though. they blow injectors if you run them out of fuel.

I once stole a vehicle, and I drove it in a very cautious and conservative manner. I used my turn signals when merging, I went slowly over speed bumps, and I was that jackass who forced over 40 cars behind me to forsake their right of way so some other jackass could exit the QuikPik without delay or difficulty. I did all of these things so as to avoid detection by the police.

Like I stole it, indeed.

I had a 2002 with a 7.3 and in just a little over 3 years I put 102,000 miles on it with absolutely no problems. Then I got a hair in my ass when gas prices went to high, I traded it on a Ranger. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made.

Biggest mistake I ever made! Married my first wife.

A great source of fun for me used to be drinking beer and watching my cousin work on his 7.3, which broke down about once a month in some fairly serious way. You never can tell....

For extra fun, ask him about the 6.0s and he'll tell you its junk, while he's ass-deep in 7.3 parts...

I've owned a 2000 7.3L, a 2004 6.0L, a 2008 6.4L and about to own a 2011 6.7L.

I can't say much about the 6.7L yet, but by far the best motor I had was the 7.3L. That truck took a beating and just kept going.

The 6.0L wasn't a terrible engine, but like any new build, it had its issues. Mainly the turbo. Once I hit the 70000km mark, it seemed like there was a valve or a hose or something that would need to be fixed every 4 to 6 months.

The 6.4L has been good. The only thing that I noticed that there is a significant decrease in power when the air filter is not clean. Never had that drastic of a power loss in any other diesel.

The 7.3 was made by Navistar/International. Ford wanted out of the supply contract and had been setting up to produce their own engine at the time. When their engine was ready they stuck it to Navistar and put people out of work.
That Navistar engine was made in Indianapolis, In.

Last edited:
Stick with the 1999-2003 Ford diesels that have the 7.3

Just make sure you buy a extra cam shaft sensor and stick it in the glove box.

Last edited:
I have a friend of mine who is the diesel drivability expert at a Ford dealership. No doubt that the 7.3 power stroke is a very good engine. He doesn't have much good to say about the 6.0. Injectors, turbo, control modules. You name it, they keep him pretty busy.

Bad thing about a lot of the work he ends up doing on those is its warranty. Ford doesn't pay their techs the same amount to work on warranty.

Too bad that Cummins doesn't come in a Ford!

Mm

I have an 06 powerstroke. No issues to speak of with the engine.

I use mine as a truck though, not a hot rod or a tractor.

The best part of the 6.0 engine is the transmission. 5 gears and fully computer controlled. You can tow in OD all day long. Engine braking is good too.

Try to remember that you are buying a whole truck, not just an engine. Dodge and Chevy have their perks, but Ford has the whole package.

Go with the 7.3. far better motor, easier and cheaper to maintain.

If you are in the market for a real truck get an older Ford L8000 or 9000 contractors dump with the 8.3 cummins. We have a 94 L8000 single axle contractors dump. Loaded at 33000lbs and pulling the tag trailer loaded at 15000 we get 10MPG all day long. The only problems I have had with it is the shut down solenoid, easy fix.

I really don't understand the love for Ford trucks, regardless of engine. The 7.3L was reliable but was also a fuel hog.

I own a 2005 F250 in 'mint' condition. I sold my 1999 Dodge to buy it. Now, you would think a 2005 vehicle would do everything better than a 1999 but that's hardly the case. The Dodge was much more precise in almost every way - better brakes, better steering, etc. For a big truck it was pretty nimble. The Ford feels like I'm driving a school bus - it's big and lumbering.

The Ford A/C system is also screwy - look on the Ford web sites and everyone is coming up with fixes to avoid having the heat stay on all the time - even when the A/C is on.

And why is it every Ford I have owned since 1993 'groans' when you raise the power windows all the way?

I own one of the dreaded 03s first year of the 6.0 :eek:. I have really enjoyed mine. It has been back for 2 computer flashes and I disconnected the egr long ago, but has been pretty trouble free. I haven't chipped it and have kept it serviced well.
I have never owned one of those mythical vehicles that people have that don't ever give any trouble. :rolleyes5:

be

I have drove a 2006 and now a 2008 to pull a heavy 5th wheel trailer, the 06 had bad mileage and radiator /cooling issues, the 2008 has a BIG problem with the EGR cooler and radiator.
A simple internet search on the 2008 cooling problems will scare you, class action lawsuits, etc.

I too have heard about the 2001 7.3L getting better mileage, with some trans issues prevalent, I know the 2001 are hard to find without 4 wheel drive.

Back