What's new
What's new

22J collet grip range questions

neilho

Titanium
I've been collecting 22J collets for a while and now have most of a set in 1/32" increments. Have been thinking about buying 1/64ths collets too, but came across a reference claiming that a 22J collet will cover a range of 1/32". A few questions result:

Is it true? If so, why are 1/64 increment 22Js made? Does a closer size collet/work diameter match result in a better grip?

Just wondering if I really need to double the size of the my collection. I'd rather not, but will if it's necessary. For now, the most-of-a-1/32 set and a few E-collets on hand seem enough.

Opinions, please.

Neil

I can only comment on my 3J set - not anywhere near 1/32 maybe two or three thousandths

The natural folks to ask are HARDINGE

I've been collecting 22J collets for a while and now have most of a set in 1/32" increments. Have been thinking about buying 1/64ths collets too, but came across a reference claiming that a 22J collet will cover a range of 1/32". A few questions result:

Is it true? If so, why are 1/64 increment 22Js made? Does a closer size collet/work diameter match result in a better grip?

Just wondering if I really need to double the size of the my collection. I'd rather not, but will if it's necessary. For now, the most-of-a-1/32 set and a few E-collets on hand seem enough.

Opinions, please.

Neil

I believe it was Hardinge that published that claim. 'Spose I should just get out some stock and some collets and do my own experimentation but expected that someone here with more experience than I would know.

It may very well have something to do with cleanliness, the collet seat and the collet closer. I've had to fool with closer force to get the collet to close easily, without sticking. 5C collet systems seem to be much less fussy - I'm beginning to appreciate them more.

Back