What's new
What's new

2nd shift problems

Doesn’t it suck when the person on 1st shift encounters a problem yet continues to run the machine without informing someone more experienced or getting the problem fixed before their shift ends leaving you to solve the problem? Well it happened to me today I got to work someone was running the machine without a hole being chamfered why this was happening was beyond my knowledge but was my problem to fix so I manually got to adjust the offsets running the program all the way until it did that operation eventually I fixed it. but then something else comes up! the machine decides to do whatever it wants! I did everything the way I was supposed to but before I knew it the machine is try to drill out a hole in a bar in the wrong coordinates. Today was FUCKED right from the start luckily it leveled out after about 3-4 hours almost half my shift while really screwing my productivity.

Doesn’t it suck when the person on 1st shift encounters a problem yet continues to run the machine without informing someone more experienced or getting the problem fixed before their shift ends leaving you to solve the problem? Well it happened to me today I got to work someone was running the machine without a hole being chamfered why this was happening was beyond my knowledge but was my problem to fix so I manually got to adjust the offsets running the program all the way until it did that operation eventually I fixed it. but then something else comes up! the machine decides to do whatever it wants! I did everything the way I was supposed to but before I knew it the machine is try to drill out a hole in a bar in the wrong coordinates. Today was FUCKED right from the start luckily it leveled out after about 3-4 hours almost half my shift while really screwing my productivity.

What is this? This is just general complaining.

What is this? This is just general complaining.

No, no, no.. .this guy.. is the very first EVER Machinemessed as has EVER had a problem of ANY KIND!

He's just posting here as first-use evidence when he applies for the patent!

Just on the off chance some OTHER Pilgrim might have a bitch, too, y'know.
Perish the very THOUGHT of such misfortune ever happening TWICE.....

Sarcasm? Irony? Ridicule?

Who even gives s**t?

Grow a pair, Snowflake. And quickly.

It's only Tuesday, yet, and the first half of April is always the easiest.

OK Boys.....First post we can cut him some slack and he will eventually fall into a place with helpful contributions to the forum.

Today talk with your first shift guy and find out why he was running parts like that, You might find out it was a decision made by the programmer for a good reason or an oversight. You might learn something about the first shift guy that helps you when following him, You might teach him something, you might gain a friend, you may be able to help this guy along in his career. I have always found it best to build a team out of shift mates and they work to make sure the next guy up is in good shape when he takes over. This type of attitude catches on and has a very positive impact.

My next point is important. Unless you have a malfunctioning machine, they only do what we tell them to do and they don't have minds of their own. Find out what you did wrong and learn from it. A program that has been running parts all day will not all of a sudden start drilling holes in new places. Something moved or you changed something in the program. Blaming the machine makes you look bad.

Good luck, Welcome aboard !!

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

I hate it when the machine does whatever it wants. I ask it nicely to make me a coffee and bagel, but it keeps making these nasty chips that cut my mouth.

Is this Facebook?

My favorite person to follow is me. In working at 9 different shops I have only got to do that twice. One place in the early 80's running WW2 Bechler Swiss only had one shift with myself and one other guy dividing 6 machines. The other time is the last 10 years of self employment, I have pretty much been an army of one. I always communicated well. I even leave myself notes. If I work long hours on little sleep my memory of yesterday can be spotty. Sometimes I am surprised in the morning, so far they mostly are good surprises. Usually a case of running more parts than I remember or forgetting that I swept the floor.

Restarts can be easy to make a mistake depends how program was written. when reset pressed defaults like G54 G90 G1 or G0 G49 G40 often go into effect. some programs do not recall or repeat modal settings. i had checked a machines grid shift calibration and the horizontal rotary table was B180 and had assumed program would restate B0 (98% of programs restate table position often) and it did not so crash happened. if program uses G92 then the zero point is shifted from the normal zero return homing position, i usually go to zero return position and see if i got zero or if G55 in effect it should be G55 numbers just opposite sign. if G52 was used many cnc if reset pressed the G52 shift is no longer in effect. same with tool comp length and dia. same with if using G55 or other work offset.
had job following work sheet which says G55, G57, G58 is used so i adjust G57 for error comp on a set of bores and it does nothing cause program used G58. it was a similar part that was not done exactly the same. program print out was out of date so it was confusing too as well as work sheet was confusing.
i like to follow a work log as i do program. i record what i did and measurement trends like finish cut is often .0004 smaller than test cut. this is also useful to record problems like broken tooling. and next shift can see what was happening on earlier shift
about worse thing is when previous shift adjusts tool offsets to make a tolerance but does not put it back to original offset. like somebody adjusting a boring bar that suppose to be 10.0000 and its 10.2000. it comes out at tool change and does a test cut .2000 oversize. i end up checking all critical tooling on a tool presetter to confirm its where its suppose to be.
i also use a white board like a chalk board to write notes. i also just write notes on a pad of paper which i feel is better as it does not get erased so you can read what was written days earlier.
sure worst thing is following somebody who writes nothing down and does everything from his head or memory. my most common program edits are adding M1 stops and warnings to watch or check stuff. same with work log it mostly full of warnings to watch for stuff or check confirm stuff.
had a boss who said anybody can make a mistake but what are you going to do to make sure the mistake never happens again. boss gets really upset with repeated mistakes. boss also wanted logs with who did what when where and how. he would ask a week later on a part did you check something on this day ? i would need to be able to answer.
i also check the tool preseeter calibration everyday. had somebody crash it and it was way off and nobody said anything. i learned to take a minute every day to not assume but verify it is ok. sure takes longer confirming or verifying stuff.
i had a big part i torqued 10 ft/lbs but it was not enough to push it against the fixture stops. normally i confirm it. next operator caught it. best operators learn to verify and can catch each others mistakes. also single block mode and looking at distance to go screen is your best tool at reduced rapids and feeds.
i also if i run another part reload program sometimes operator edited program to take a deeper test cut or to make a tolerance and did not change program back to original. i learn never assume program has not been changed. sure can make life difficult always worried about stuff

i also use a startup checklist. i check stuff before running a program. what on it usually anything that caused a problem before. for example on tooling i write down H and D and if i adjust record original, adjustment and write down changing it back. a lot of things its easy to forget like one day probe wouldnt work and i put in maintenance request to repair.
turns out somebody else pressed button next to machine lights and turned probe off. its normally always on. so thats on start up check list to confirm the probe is on at control. kind of embarrassing i missed probe turned off. i normally never touch it. other operator did it by accident
same as startup check list says confirm fixture bolted tight to table, part is clamped tight in fixture and against stops. worst other operator is sets fixture down slide bolts in position but walks away forgetting to tighten bolts. so it looks tight unless you actually grab the bolts with wrench and try to turn

No, no, no.. .this guy.. is the very first EVER Machinemessed as has EVER had a problem of ANY KIND!

He's just posting here as first-use evidence when he applies for the patent!

Just on the off chance some OTHER Pilgrim might have a bitch, too, y'know.
Perish the very THOUGHT of such misfortune ever happening TWICE.....

Sarcasm? Irony? Ridicule?

Who even gives s**t?

Grow a pair, Snowflake. And quickly.

It's only Tuesday, yet, and the first half of April is always the easiest.

Haha “snowflake” I’m not mad at that, Its just irritating to have to deal with cause it affects how much im able to get done and I’m trying to stay well away from the bottom of the totem pole and things like that can get in my way. People have gotten fired or laid off when business slows and I don’t want to be one of them.

I don’t use Facebook it’s stupid and I don’t normally complain like this but yesterday stood out of any other days where problems happened

I literally didn’t change anything I had been running the same program multiple times trying to fix the chamfer issue and the time it Happened the tool came down .75” to the right of where the original hole was, cause after that happened I changed the tool insert on a “spade drill”, ran the program again and the machine did what it was supposed to

I literally didn’t change anything I had been running the same program multiple times trying to fix the chamfer issue and the time it Happened the tool came down .75” to the right of where the original hole was, cause after that happened I changed the tool insert on a “spade drill”, ran the program again and the machine did what it was supposed to
restarts are easily to miss something that was called 2 or 3 screens back. i usually use program check screen and see what
work offset in effect like G55
check tool comp G43 correct H stated and dia G41 or G42 and correct D stated
i have also seen when i needed G19 stated and G17 was in effect that threw off the dia comp in wrong direction. that through me off cause in particular case the dia comp was like .001 took me awhile to realize what was happening
G17 G19 that can throw off drill cycle direction
i even had 2 comments
G41 D2 Y1.000
(COMMENT)
(COMMENT)
2 comments throws off tool comp

Haha you’re right I thought this was a “general” machining section where you post whatever you feel related to machining

But not "Rants"...it's because people like yourself found a "Rant Posting" left here, and think it's fine to do so. Your supposed to ask a question, or provide some help.

Some Aggressive cleaning up is needed around here.

Back