What's new
What's new

3/8 steel rod threading

tucsonguy

Plastic
Hi, I'm a total newbie but I saw a similar post here a while back so I thought this would be a good place to post my question.

I need to thread a LOT of 8 inch long 3/8 thick steel rods, for half an inch on both ends. I'd like to use 3/8-16 threads. My question is, apart from a machine lathe, is there any tool that will let me do this quickly? Any kind of hand held or table top power die that can be used to make these threads? I don't much like the idea of threading 100+ steel rods by hand, 1/2 of threads on either end.

I know these can be purchased as studs, but I can't find ones with the right length threading on both ends, except very expensively.

Thanks in advance!

You'll pay anywhere from $800-3000 for a threading machine to do that work, if you want to do it with a power tool that isn't a lathe. I would suggest either buying a used lathe, and a die (better yet a die head), or find a machine shop to do the work for you. A shop with a CNC lathe could likely bang those out in a few hours, at $75-125/hr. The real question is, what do you consider to be "quickly"?

You may also be able to rent a pipe threading machine, if that's the way you want to go.

Last edited:
They do make bolt dies for Ridgid pipe threaders. It may be worth a call to your local plumbing supply to see if they offer the service. If not, a geometric die head and a turret lathe would eat these up rather quick as well. And then there is always CNC.

How critical is the length of threads? If a design change could permit longer threads, McMaster sells them all day long for $1.83.

Why isn't anyone recommending this?

51LV%2Bk7hP7L._SX342_.jpg

Now there's a nice little tickle for a PMer with a small turret late and self opening diebox in his home shop, ...........MMMMMM? liner up the spindle to guide the cut rods in to the collet, .......a stop fitted to the shank of the diebox, ......nice warm shop, cup of coffee / tea on the go, write the lot off in a morning, trouser a few bob, ............and keep out of the wife's way to boot, ....what man could ask for more,?????????????????? well if the gods smile on you, because you've been out of her way, you could get lucky as well.

I have quit a few round die holders made out of round stock that are stepped down on one end tho fit in a chuck,different lengths,drilled through for longer threads.Basically for quick short threads in the lathe.
There's no reason you couldn't use that in a drill press if enough head space and reversing available.
You could chuck the rod or the die either way,line up and go to town.A little imagination on fixture/clamping and as short as they are it would be as quick as any thing.

You're right, I didn't see that. Still 100=200 ends 2m an end not that much, half a days work.

Since it's only a 3/8" thread a bench drill would make lots of these in a short time. Chuck the rod in the drill and run it trough the die (mounted to die holder in vise)
Holding the already threaded end would need some fabricobbling, extension nut and socket or drill chuck with hollow shaft so you can grab the center section.
Or spin "tailstock-style" die holder with the drill and mount couple of rods at a time to a vise.

Ridgid pipe threader sounds way too slow for tiny threads like 3/8". Hell, you can thread that 3/8" even with a cordless drill if your hand-mouth coordination is decent..

Hi, I'm a total newbie but I saw a similar post here a while back so I thought this would be a good place to post my question.

I need to thread a LOT of 8 inch long 3/8 thick steel rods, for half an inch on both ends. I'd like to use 3/8-16 threads. My question is, apart from a machine lathe, is there any tool that will let me do this quickly? Any kind of hand held or table top power die that can be used to make these threads? I don't much like the idea of threading 100+ steel rods by hand, 1/2 of threads on either end.

I know these can be purchased as studs, but I can't find ones with the right length threading on both ends, except very expensively.

Thanks in advance!

I'll make them for you.

CarlBoyd

Yup, tighten up the spec's (actual material, etc) and
post a "threaded studs needed" in the "Manufacturing resources" section.

Good ideas!

Since it's only a 3/8" thread a bench drill would make lots of these in a short time. Chuck the rod in the drill and run it trough the die (mounted to die holder in vise)
Holding the already threaded end would need some fabricobbling, extension nut and socket or drill chuck with hollow shaft so you can grab the center section.
Or spin "tailstock-style" die holder with the drill and mount couple of rods at a time to a vise.

Ridgid pipe threader sounds way too slow for tiny threads like 3/8". Hell, you can thread that 3/8" even with a cordless drill if your hand-mouth coordination is decent..

That's exactly what I did this afternoon... locked the die in the vise, chucked the rod in a battery powered drill, and I was able to thread it pretty easily (hard on the hands tho, from the twisting) :)

I have a Shopsmith, and I'm going to use that to set up a jig to do this. The motor is plenty big enough to do it all day, I can mount a vise to the table and use a collet chuck to hold the 3/8 rod. Done deal.
Thanks for the ideas, everybody. I'm surprised someone hasn't marketed a small table top machine to do this kind of work, it doesn't need a big motor or expensive jigging! I mean, so long as its 7/16 inch or smaller, its just no big deal. So why is everyone still threading rod by hand, and why are there only hand tools on the consumer market?

Were not threading rods by hand, we all have lathes we don't need to rig that bit up, lots of us have die heads and your 200 ends would take me about 85 minutes give or take including setup, add another 5 minutes if i have to grind the chasers if there blunt. So yeah, i could like sami says get that done in a morning even with the typical time i start these days!

That's exactly what I did this afternoon... locked the die in the vise, chucked the rod in a battery powered drill, and I was able to thread it pretty easily (hard on the hands tho, from the twisting) :)

I have a Shopsmith, and I'm going to use that to set up a jig to do this. The motor is plenty big enough to do it all day, I can mount a vise to the table and use a collet chuck to hold the 3/8 rod. Done deal.
Thanks for the ideas, everybody. I'm surprised someone hasn't marketed a small table top machine to do this kind of work, it doesn't need a big motor or expensive jigging! I mean, so long as its 7/16 inch or smaller, its just no big deal. So why is everyone still threading rod by hand, and why are there only hand tools on the consumer market?

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/machinery-discussion-guidelines-137724/

The Hobby-Machinist Forums

Back