What's new
What's new

Shop Ceiling

SteveF

Titanium
Down to the final stretch on my new 28' x 40' shop. As I put on the joint compound and sand it smooth in the attic in my house I am starting to think about the approx 1000 sq ft of drywall planned for the first floor ceiling (9 1/2 feet up) and a suspended ceiling is starting to look better. More cost for materials but a bunch less labor. Anyone know of any downsides to a suspended ceiling in a metal (light work only) / wood working shop?

Thanks.
Steve.

Down to the final stretch on my new 28' x 40' shop. As I put on the joint compound and sand it smooth in the attic in my house I am starting to think about the approx 1000 sq ft of drywall planned for the first floor ceiling (9 1/2 feet up) and a suspended ceiling is starting to look better. More cost for materials but a bunch less labor. Anyone know of any downsides to a suspended ceiling in a metal (light work only) / wood working shop?

Thanks.
Steve.

Thanks.
Steve.

Non particularly Steve, just keep them away from any welding areas! They're great for shops as you will always have easy access to what's above, should you decide to run HVAC or additional wiring, telephone, water, internet, etc. Very flexible ceiling system, and I see them used all the time in my travels from shop to shop.

wippin' boy, I agree 99%, the one exception being heating/cooling. For efficient climate control, the lowest celing possible will give you the best results.

Non particularly Steve, just keep them away from any welding areas! They're great for shops as you will always have easy access to what's above, should you decide to run HVAC or additional wiring, telephone, water, internet, etc. Very flexible ceiling system, and I see them used all the time in my travels from shop to shop.

wippin' boy, I agree 99%, the one exception being heating/cooling. For efficient climate control, the lowest celing possible will give you the best results.

Standard ceiling tile will get nasty real fast and there's not much you can do to clean it. In commercial applications its common to have a suspended sheet rock ceiling for either floor to floor fire rating or in areas such as kitchens where the surfaces must be smooth and washable. Uses the same grid, but you cut the sheet rock to panel size and paint it before installation. If you check with Bonitz in G'boro they can tell you how many additional suspension points the grid needs as compared for use with lighter weight ceiling tile, and you can get all the stuff you need for the grid from them. There's various sizes of grid material available, and they'll be able to tell you what you need, as opposed to the Home Depot type places that typically only have whatever's the cheapest. Tell them a friend of the late Eddie Dixon recommended them to you, and they oughta be able to fix you up with the materials you need and some tips that come from doing that sort of work for about 50 years.

Standard ceiling tile will get nasty real fast and there's not much you can do to clean it. In commercial applications its common to have a suspended sheet rock ceiling for either floor to floor fire rating or in areas such as kitchens where the surfaces must be smooth and washable. Uses the same grid, but you cut the sheet rock to panel size and paint it before installation. If you check with Bonitz in G'boro they can tell you how many additional suspension points the grid needs as compared for use with lighter weight ceiling tile, and you can get all the stuff you need for the grid from them. There's various sizes of grid material available, and they'll be able to tell you what you need, as opposed to the Home Depot type places that typically only have whatever's the cheapest. Tell them a friend of the late Eddie Dixon recommended them to you, and they oughta be able to fix you up with the materials you need and some tips that come from doing that sort of work for about 50 years.

There are a zillion types of panels for drop-in ceilings, in a shop I would think that vinyl covered rigid fiberglass would be good, it's constructed out of 1/2" thick compressed fiberglass. You get the benefits of insulation, light weight, ease of installation and a scrubble surface, downside is cost.

There are a zillion types of panels for drop-in ceilings, in a shop I would think that vinyl covered rigid fiberglass would be good, it's constructed out of 1/2" thick compressed fiberglass. You get the benefits of insulation, light weight, ease of installation and a scrubble surface, downside is cost.

IMO, a drywall ceiling, painted gloss white, is ten times better than a suspended ceiling. Other than dropping light fixtures into the grid, a suspended ceiling will support no weight. No way to screw a hook into it, so you're unable to hang anything from the ceiling. Once it's up, it's nearly impossible to run additional wiring or change your HVAC ducting.

Even if it were free materials & installation, I wouldn't want one :eek:

-------------
Barry Milton

IMO, a drywall ceiling, painted gloss white, is ten times better than a suspended ceiling. Other than dropping light fixtures into the grid, a suspended ceiling will support no weight. No way to screw a hook into it, so you're unable to hang anything from the ceiling. Once it's up, it's nearly impossible to run additional wiring or change your HVAC ducting.

-------------
Barry Milton

-------------
Barry Milton

Back