What's new
What's new

The best Cylindrical grinder

William R

Aluminum
Who makes the best small to medium size manual IO/OD cylindrical grinder: Myford MG12, Jones &
Shipman, Norton, Landis, or other make? Also what about the parts availability for the British machines.

I worked at Cincinnati for many years. I have rebuilt many O.D. grinders and they performed remarkably well. I have no experience with any other O.D. grinder. We never used the I.D. attachment on our O.D. grinderss although we did produce such an attachment. We aso owned Heald who were quite the manufacturer of very nice I.D. grinders. (They also made rotory frinders which were fabulous.) We were nevr in need of any single machine to do multiple operations. I have no experience with other brands, the work I witnessed comming off these two machines was so spectacular I could not imagine any improvement. You may be able to out produce a Cincinnati or a Heald, but If you were to claim better accuracy and or finish, I would not be able to be the judge. John

Bought a used KARSTENS IO/OD cylindrical drinder. Did a good job but shows highly refined technique and expensive, too. Switched over to a JONES & SHIPMAN 1071, a handy and useful workshop pal. Manufacturer gives good support up to now.

Back