What's new
What's new

321 Facing and Edge Beveling

Tightmopedman9

Plastic
1z5hi6b.jpg

I'm trying to make this piece out of schedule 10, 1.5" diameter 321 stainless. Finish is not overly important as I will be welding this to other sections of the same shape.

I would also like a 45º edge bevel at the end of every pipe to facilitate welding.

I just picked up a Sharp HMV mill (Bridgeport clone) with no tooling except for some R8 collets. I have little experience with milling (read: none). I'm wondering what tooling would be best for these two operations. I know that a saw the cuts and a bench sander for the beveling would be faster, but considering the price of 321SS I would like to make the parts as accurately as possible, and use my new mill!

The pipe section is formed by two 12º cuts separated by 18º. I was planning on making a fixture to clamp the pipe at 12º and using a face mill to cut to a depth of .589" over 4", then rotating the pipe by 18º for the second cut.

For the bevel I was thinking about using a chamfer cutter, and since I don't have a rotary table, using the ProtoTrak MX2 to move the bed in a circular path.

My head is swimming with all the possibilities of cutter geometry, number of teeth, type of teeth etc. Optimally, I'd like to invest in tooling that would applicable for a widerange of operations. I see myself milling mostly mild, stainless and AL, with a rare need to exceed .005" accuracy.

For facing the 321 tubing would a 90º or a 45º facemill be better? I'm looking at the Glacern 2.5" face mills. My machine has 3 hp, so I don't think the lower power requirements of the 90º cutter is a benefit.

I saw this when you first posted it, and I didn't have any good ideas.. Still don't..
Apparently nobody else does either.

That doesn't look like fun in any way shape or form.. Floppy, nothing to hold onto and 321,
321 SUCKS.. Miserable MISERABLE material.. All the suckiness of 304 and then toss some Ti into the
mix.. I'd rather play with Inconel.

I'm guessing its part of a header collector?

Yes, it will be part of a header collector.

The more I research this, the less appealing of an idea it becomes. Poor fixturing and a difficult to machine material. I think I'll just end up cutting it in the bandsaw and deal with the not-perfect fitup. If I'm careful hopefully I can make it clean enough.

I would still like to bevel the pipe edges on the mill though.

Never made a collector in pipe, but making the investment in a rotary table with chuck, probably goes a long way to make life a lot easier....I do know fabricators who freehand them with a cutting blade in an angle grinder though...better eyes than this little black duck!

Doing it in tube, I'd typically turn up a piece to fit inside the tube to reinforce it in the chuck - rotate to required angle - and then use a slitting saw. About the only thing to watch there, definitely don't climb the cutter into the work.:ack2:

Back