What's new
What's new

3D printing.... Makerbot Replicator 2 on the way... could be actually useful

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on your definition of useful or what the intended use is.

What applications are you thinking about?
I was thinking in terms of how most stereolithography is used....for creating pre production realistic appearing prototypes of new product ideas. Certainly not for creating the final product itself at this price point....I am aware some actual parts are created in low volume for aircraft and such, but these would require much more expensive and precise 3D printers.

The point is, the previous generation Makerbot produced results too crude even for prototypes, and was too finicky to use.

Yup, no more kits.
I know a few people at the company, they have definitely gotten much more serious over the last 18 months since they took on $10M in investment capital. They have something like 120 people on payroll now.

For their sake I sure hope the new model is less fussy! The machine they offered last year at this time was nearly unusable without a huge amount of screwing around (though people's experiences vary).

The price of a 'real' entry level FDM from Stratasys is quickly falling (something like $9K now) and MakerBot prices are rising. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If this technology is useful to you and you want to it work reliably (or if your time isn't free), spend the extra money on a true commercial machine. In my opinion, MakerBot's hardware is about at the level of technical refinement as Stratasys' machines from 12 years ago, if even that. They are sure as hell cheaper though!

The point is, the previous generation Makerbot produced results too crude even for prototypes,

I have seen some of them. There's nothing to add.
All 3D prints I have seen so far are too crude (by my standards). For a design sample that you touch and what some kind of haptic experience, there's a long way to go. They all have problems with slightly sloped surfaces. The result is, that they need manual finishing work.
It would be interesting how the machining time compares to 3D milling. The higher the resolution with 3D printing is, the longer it takes (^3). With 3D milling (on a 5 axis) you don't have that high penalty.
With hollow shapes (like flowbenching manifolds for example) or assembly tests, 3D printing has its advantages.

Nick

The price of a 'real' entry level FDM from Stratasys is quickly falling #something like $9K now# and MakerBot prices are rising. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If this technology is useful to you and you want to it work reliably #or if your time isn't free#, spend the extra money on a true commercial machine. In my opinion, MakerBot's hardware is about at the level of technical refinement as Stratasys' machines from 12 years ago, if even that. They are sure as hell cheaper though!

Any sub $10,000 machines that will deposit metal powder?

Yup, no more kits.
I know a few people at the company, they have definitely gotten much more serious over the last 18 months since they took on $10M in investment capital. They have something like 120 people on payroll now.

For their sake I sure hope the new model is less fussy! The machine they offered last year at this time was nearly unusable without a huge amount of screwing around (though people's experiences vary).

The price of a 'real' entry level FDM from Stratasys is quickly falling (something like $9K now) and MakerBot prices are rising. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If this technology is useful to you and you want to it work reliably (or if your time isn't free), spend the extra money on a true commercial machine. In my opinion, MakerBot's hardware is about at the level of technical refinement as Stratasys' machines from 12 years ago, if even that. They are sure as hell cheaper though!

Not my area of expertise by any means, but it's interesting that the new makerbot has finer layer resolution (100 micron vs 170 micron) than the $9k stratasys mojo, and twice the build volume. It'd be interesting to see some real world comparisons.

Any sub $10,000 machines that will deposit metal powder?
Welcome...
images

The rapid 3D prtotyping market has really been evolving. In particular, there are a number of companies vying to position themselves in this arena. The supposed true value of these tools are their ability to replicate themslves. This has been characteristically limited to a few number of machining capabilities such as the lathe and mill.

A particularly good system is the Bits From Bytes group in the UK which is owned now by 3D Systems!

These tools have a tremnedous potential since there are efforts to use these for plastic, metals, ceramics, and biological materials. It is not a far fetched assumption that one day structual material could be used to build a fluidic device that has optical traces for spectroscopy, electrical conductors for signal transmission, and biological materials for medical diagnostics that could be made with rapid prototyping tols for in-house, in-office, or battle field medical diagnostics.

These are some very interesting time! The use of these tools have oftne been compared to the early days when Bill Gates and Steven Job were tinkering with home brew computers.

my first 3d printing owner experience left me quite sour. I bought a used zCorp machine used and thought I could go to town. Didn't happen that way.my first 3d printing owner experience left me quite sour. I bought a used zCorp machine used and thought I could go to town. Didn't happen that way.

Since then I've followed once in a while the various machines. This one you just pointed out looks great and priced reasonable. I hope it performs as close to declared as possible. I also hope the consumables are available from 3rd party vendors.ince then I've followed once in a while the various machines. This one you just pointed out looks great and priced reasonable. I hope it performs as close to declared as possible. I also hope the consumables are available from 3rd party vendors.

As we say in Paragliding: Looks good you go first...

There are many different machine out there on the market. The Bits From Bytes 3DTouch print is very well designed with a number of features for ease of operation and maintenance. I have a 3Dtouch and it is quite trouble free if you take care of it properly. Also, I currently have a Z Corp 510 that was transferred to me from my former place of employment. I know the machine well and can tell you that it is a good machine when taken care of but a real nightmare if allowed to be un-maintained. That is true for the majority of these systems from 3D Systems, Stratysis, etc. They can be quite finicky. Each of these systems 3D Printing or Fusion Deposition Modelling (FDM) have their strengths and weaknesses. It all depends onwhat you intend to use the system for in your applications.

www.asiga.com

Actually VERY smooth and accurate, but tiny workspace (Build plate)

I also have owned Two 3dSystems MJM printers (Invision HR and a newer Projet)
Also a Solidscape

Also an envisiontec.

By far, the 3DSystems Projet series is the smoothest and most accurate of them all.
Also had experience with Objet...

I am certified to repair the 3dSystems projets and Invisions.

Anyone want to submit a part file for a test?

We print Medical files that need +/- 22um accuracy.
Also do Jewelry and other random prototypes...

Scott

BTW...Makerbot is a toy....piece of garbage for students to play with.

I wouldn't waste my time even looking at one.

BTW...Makerbot is a toy....piece of garbage for students to play with.

I wouldn't waste my time even looking at one.
That's what I said in the first sentence of the post that started this thread, but the topic concerns the new model that is not out yet. It may turn out to be a "toy" as well but it seems unlikely from the pre press info.

On another subject you need to edit your profile as "Richmond" for location is too vague. Enter "Richmond" at Weather.com and you will see what I mean....and that's just the USA...you may be in Richmond, Uganda for all we know.

The original Richmond.

The Capital of the South.

Richmond, Va of course!

All others are just immatations. LOL

I'm pretty sure that 3DSystems now owns MakerBot and Robot Nation.

They are good at advertising. Don't believe the hype.

I love 3dSystems, but the smaller stuff is not all that....(vFlash for example)

Back