Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 3D printing.... Makerbot Replicator 2 on the way... could be actually useful

JamesVP is offline Plastic

Yup, the Z Corp system can be utilized to make foundry patterns.

Z Corp Process - Flowserve Corporation
    http://www.3dprint.no/images/Nyheter...ast%20info.pdf

scott@dmc is offline Plastic

Z-corp is also now owned by 3dsystems. (as of this year)

The material is pretty much plastic I think, and not the best to be burnt-out (Lost-wax casting)

You'd be better off finding an old thermo-jet or something else IMO.

Texcast in TX use to have a fleet of those big monsters. Material is cheap.

Printhead has hundreds of jets (Xerox modified printhead)

Don't you need material to burn-out for your application?

You'd need your investment to withstand 1500F for a while to burn out the z-corp stuff.

Much less for a wax printer.

I prefer to burn out wax if possible...

Much cleaner and easier to work with.

Projet 3500 CP or CPX uses real wax.

atomarc is offline Stainless

I think the skulls are pretty cool...there must be a huge market for them. This 3D stuff is awesome.

Stuart
    <jbc> likes this.

Nick Mueller is offline Stainless

Could one be used to make foundry patterns?
    The ones I have seen: No. The surface is too rough and needs manual rework.
    If you are making detailed fine castings, you can completely forget them.

fp1-1.jpg
    That's what I mean with detailed fine casting. Aluminium in sand.

Nick

I can "print" things in a matter of hours that would be simply impossible on a CNC mill.

It's fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    That's what I said in the first sentence of the post that started this thread, but the topic concerns the new model that is not out yet. It may turn out to be a "toy" as well but it seems unlikely from the pre press info.

On another subject you need to edit your profile as "Richmond" for location is too vague. Enter "Richmond" at Weather.com and you will see what I mean....and that's just the USA...you may be in Richmond, Uganda for all we know.
    I think it is asking too much to "demand" members post their location. It really is not necessary, is it? Kinda a weird forum rule. Never in my life have I seen such a "rule". How about respect people's privacy? No?

Who cares where I am? I mean, really? Are you planning on comming over to my house for a sleep over or something? I need to ask my Mom first, OK? LOL

Milacron is online now Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by scott@dmc View Post
    I think it is asking too much to "demand" members post their location. It really is not necessary, is it? Kinda a weird forum rule. Never in my life have I seen such a "rule". How about respect people's privacy? No?

Who cares where I am? I mean, really? Are you planning on comming over to my house for a sleep over or something? I need to ask my Mom first, OK? LOL
    Not demanding exact location, but it is requirement to at least give some indication. For example "East Coast" is no good, since that could mean the east coast of Brazil for all we know. But East Coast, USA is fine....Southeast or Middle East, USA would be better in your case, but East Coast, USA is ok. Why would you be against such a relatively vague indication of location ? Just to be argumentative I suspect.

Many practical reasons for the requirement such folks that post about wanting to find a machine near them and they don't say where they are. But the less tangible reason is to create a better sense of community here. You may not care who anyone is or where anyone is, but many of us do.

Also, read the avatar requirements. In this case, the reason is also for community but to also keep the forum a bit more professional and/or aimed at the trade we are in...which a screamin monkey is kinda the opposite of.

As to "no other forum requires this"...not true. Hell, some forums require you to use your real full name to display with each post. We will never require that. All I ask is a pronounable name of some sort...could be most anything as long as it's not all numbers. This is not just any forum...not many forums that require new topics to give some indication of what the topic is actually about either....but we do here.
    Billtodd likes this.

Well, you have a wonderful life!

Bye!

Spud is online now Titanium

I can "print" things in a matter of hours that would be simply impossible on a CNC mill.

It's fun!
    What is the specific technology and brand of machine ?

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    What is the specific technology and brand of machine ?
    Too late.... he's stormed off, probably to play World of Warcraft or Grand Theft Auto. If mom will allow of course.

kd0afk is offline Cast Iron

At this point, I don't think anyone cares about you AT ALL.

Spud is online now Titanium

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Too late.... he's stormed off, probably to play World of Warcraft or Grand Theft Auto. If mom will allow of course.

Yeah I hit reply and then noticed his and your post. Takes me several minutes to get a post throught, browser issue.

What was the name of that one guy who used to post in the CNC sub-forum whos avatar was also a baby Orangutan. If I saw the name I would know .

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    Yeah I hit reply and then noticed his and your post. Takes me several minutes to get a post throught, browser issue.

What was the name of that one guy who used to post in the CNC sub-forum whos avatar was also a baby Orangutan. If I saw the name I would know .
    Maybe he was insulted as that actually was a photo of him and therefore within Avatar Guidelines

FWIW, got the lastest issue of Wired magazine in my mailbox yesterday and see the below on the cover...

tjd10684 is offline Cast Iron

I don't know about changing the world but this is in my price range and it would be really nice to be able to test the ergonomics of some designs before going thru the hassle of making fixtures writing and debugging gcode and all that other fun stuff. This might actually be something I would seriously conceder purchasing for prototyping purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by tjd10684 View Post
    I don't know about changing the world but this is in my price range and it would be really nice to be able to test the ergonomics of some designs before going thru the hassle of making fixtures writing and debugging gcode and all that other fun stuff. This might actually be something I would seriously conceder purchasing for prototyping purposes.
    With all the free advertising they are getting (some admittedly from me !) may be hard to get your hands on one for awhile due to order backlogs....may have to sub those puppies out to Foxconn !! (once they get the Foxconn employee riots under control ! )

While I could be in the market at this price point I am always skeptical of brand new products so I would be waiting for Rev 2, that also gives me some time to scrape up the money

fatoldman7 is offline Plastic

I personally feel that many people are over hyping the personal printer. I see it as a tool for a hobbyist, but the technology is not far enough along for the masses. I do feel that in the not to distant future, shops will have 3d printers, just the same as they do mills, and lathes. If you have a 3 axis CNC in you shop, I don't think it would be much of a stretch to do 3D printing. Digital Machinist covered this topic in there last issue. In our lab we have a 3D systems, Z Corp, Stratasys, and a Makerbot they all have there place depending on the cost, and the type of part we need. Some one asked if there is a metal printer in the 10,000.00 range. I went shopping for a metal printer at IMTS last week, 500,000.00 would be in the mid point price range for a metal printer. Looks like in two years I'll be shopping for a metal printer at the next IMTS, maybe the prices will come down by then.

Quote Originally Posted by fatoldman7 View Post
    I personally feel that many people are over hyping the personal printer. I see it as a tool for a hobbyist, but the technology is not far enough along for the masses.snip/
    I agree its not a personal printer as in anyone you pick off the street can use it. it still takes technical skills to make the model and do the setup and know how to run it I think something like this is going to have the biggest impact on a small business like mine. I make short run custom parts for the paintball industry and ergonomics are a key selling feature. While I can use my imagination and experience to design a comfortable and attractive part on the screen its not untill its in the hand that you can really tell if its a success. I have a cnc to make the complex parts but making a fixture and such to make one part to test is a good way for me to loose a lot of money. So my plan of attack has been to always design with production in mind (how can I make 2 or 4 or 50 at once) so that IF the part turns out good I already have the fixture and I don't have to buy more material to make another. Something like this printer would eliminate the need do all time consuming money wasting physical testing in real metal and I could weed out the dead end ideas much faster and for less money. That is where this printer will excel in the small business environment not so much the home or hobby shop.

One thing to put it in perspective... I glanced at the Wired article and in there was some mention of creating custom toys for your kids...but there is a video of the Replicator 2 making a small model of a building and it took 24 hours machine time and $36 worth of materials to do it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast