What's new
What's new

3rd shift supervisor sleeping on the job 3-6 hours.

georgee1

Aluminum
Okay started new 3rd shift job, trained on 1st for 2 weeks then I was moved to 3rd. My supervisor is sleeping on the job, first instinct is to tell the owner. But my only hesitation is having to deal with the tension if this guy doesn't get fired. What do I do ? I'm sure the obvious answer is to tell the owner.

Should I give him a fair warning before I go straight to management? It's affecting my production, having to wake him up in the conference room for every question I have. He's a good persona but that's irrelevant.

First things first, find out when it is okay for you to sleep! :D

Seriously though, maybe poke around and find out the details before you go 'tell' anyone. Does he do it every single day? Maybe has a newborn at home, or a family member dying, etc. I'm not saying it is *ok to sleep on the job, but be sure you have some information about it. A story, my father-in-law at one time worked 3rd shift, and he told me (years ago, he has passed), he used to be called into work even when he was sick and his boss said just be around in case you are needed, you can sleep/rest in the break are otherwise.

First things first, find out when it is okay for you to sleep! :D

Seriously though, maybe poke around and find out the details before you go 'tell' anyone. Does he do it every single day? Maybe has a newborn at home, or a family member dying, etc. I'm not saying it is *ok to sleep on the job, but be sure you have some information about it. A story, my father-in-law at one time worked 3rd shift, and he told me (years ago, he has passed), he used to be called into work even when he was sick and his boss said just be around in case you are needed, you can sleep/rest in the break are otherwise.
Im not sure that's the case here. The guy is my supervisor in technical terms because there wasn't a 3rd shift up until 2 weeks before I was hired. He does it about every other day to every third day. My 2nd day on 3rd shift he was in the bathroom for 3 hours with the lights off. That following weekend, he was in his car for 6 hours. Up until recently he started sleeping the conference room. I discussed his sleep schedule and he says he can't get sleep when he gets home from work, not until a few hours before his shift. But the days he does not sleep on the job he drinks 4 medium sized red bulls and then a coffee at around 4am. I can't relate to his specific problem as I have always gone straight to bed as soon as I'm home.

But an addition to my OP, I told my trainer on first shift about this. And he said he can get fired, and I as well for knowing and not saying anything about it. Also that people have been fired for the same thing on 2nd..

But once he wakes up I'll discuss it again with him, this time more towards when he will change his schedule.

Where I worked the whole maintaince dept. including their supervisor slept a few hours every night. Tell your boss to put dark trash can liners over the windows of his bedroom so no light enters. He can't sleep because he is not used to sleeping in a bright bedroom.

You do not know the details of your supervisor's employment. Work for a while and get the "feel" of the situation before you start taking over. New guys who start bashing around don't last long. Regards, Clark

Don't get involved, your not the owner or plant manager. If he's doing a good job and the boss's are happy, who are you to get involved? I've learned a long time ago, only concern yourself with you. Believe me, if the owner/plant manager is involved with his business, he'll drop in on his way home from the bar one night unannounced. Then, you'll get a chance to see the fireworks. It's a new shift and 3rd is tough in the beginning.

3 weeks? I think you should mind you own business. He's probably married to the owner daughter. Your pissin him off by waking him up all the time.

Why do you have so many questions that it slows down you productively? Do you just like walking around?

Listen, don't rock the boat. Leave him alone. In a month or two when you fuck up he very well may go to bat for you.

Little tip that supervisor won't actually tell you to your face. The more you are able to work unsupervised the more they will like you. If they have to jack with you every time they turn around your a PITA.

Who do you think the owner is going to side with? A guy just started 3 weeks ago or the guy who does his bullshit while he's home in bed?

Brent

But yea, it's not your business. His boss might know... might be ok. Guy might be going through some kind of trouble and the boss is ok having him come in with little responsibility just to get some hours on his paycheck or something. He might provide value in other ways, or just be in a temporary bind that his boss is ok carrying him through. It's not your business. What he told you might have nothing to do with the full truth because - again - it's none of your business; especially if it relates to a personal matter.

Besides, who wouldn't be happy if their immediate supervisor was paying less attention?

First ask yourself what he'd be doing if he were awake.

If he'll be making your job harder, then you need to be grateful.

This. When I last worked for a large company on nights 25 years ago we just had department leads (I was one) and a plant manager. The plant manager was nothing but a PITA, totally useless and more like the play ground supervisor in grade school. All I ever heard from Ray was (I saw Armanado come back two minutes late from lunch and Frank walked two feet past the yellow line, then put his safety glasses on. You need to have a talk with those guys).I did not get along with Ray and the more I told him to buzz off the more he dogged me and my guys. My department had the highest efficiency rating in the plant
so that bought me the ability to give the night manger back talk. So anyway Ray dies of a heart attack. They promote a supervisor from days to night plant manager (days had a lot of management levels, nights did not).
First day on the job the new night boss comes to me and says, "My name is John, here is my pager number, call it if you need me, this department does not need any interference from me, unless you call me you will only see me on Friday handing you the paychecks."

Some of us don't need no stinking boss.

You did say they just set up this third shift maybe the boss just wants some one there just in case until they decide whether they really need a third shift permanently. Keep your head down and do your work.

You did say they just set up this third shift maybe the boss just wants some one there just in case until they decide whether they really need a third shift permanently. Keep your head down and do your work.

Most people hate graveyard, maybe the owner made concessions with the guy to go. Just wanted somebody there he can trust in case of emergency until he finds a willing qualified graveyard supervisor. Somebody came to me and ratted someone out after the rat had two weeks on the job I would mark them as a master of machine shop politics, that uses their mouth to impress people instead of actions. I would be more likely to fire the snitch and just have a talk with the sleeper.

I'm in the head down and gob shut camp, yes I know it grates, but you are not in a strong position.

Furthermore, - if something does go tits up, and you're asked ''where was X'' you can honestly say you don't know.

Back