What's new
What's new

More air coming out of my A/C inlet than going in?

Apples

Aluminum
I have started this thread after this one how to silence my big air compressor.

After hooking up a length of 1" PVC pipe to my a/C inlet's there is a flow of air that is blowing out the end of the pipe.

It is a 2 cylinder machine and I always knew that it had "blow by" as in air coming back out of the inlet tract. Whether this is because the reed valve does not seal properly when the piston comes back up. Or if it is just the inertia of the air flow being stopped suddenly and the valve closes, the air must just then have no where to go and it bounces back.

What I had in mind was getting one of those one way valves or maybe two of them and putting it inline with the plumbing of the inlet pipes.

The idea being if the valve locks the air inside from the top of the piston or valve to just outside the head, it will slightly pressurize that area. The theory then is that on the down stroke the valve will open quicker and the cylinder will fill up faster as it has a pressurized blast of air at the start of it's stroke.

Any thoughts on this guys?

Peter

Peter,

I don't know all the details but your plan sounds like a funky band aid deal that is sure to cause other problems and fail. Piston compressors usually have heads that can be rebuilt. I rebuilt a IR compressor's heads several times over the period of 27 years.

That's the proper way to do it...once and be done with it, the right way!

Stuart

In another post I asked a similar question. That there is supposed to be a bit of air going back out the inlet pipe. But how much is too much I guess is the real question I'm asking.

I did take the heads off last time and all it is, is a plate that has a series of holes for the reed to sit on. I dare say all it would need it a bit of a touch up on a surface grinder.

I will try to take a video of the air blowing out the pipe later on.

And, I just thought that isn't a one way reed valve the same as having a reed valve in the cylinder head. Sure it is not as close to the piston as possible.

I don't think you even need to take the head(s) off. The disc valves should be accessible from outside.

No, I do not think a quick clean up on the SG would be advisable. Check the price of a valve kit, first.
The discs may have fractures or pieces broken out of them.

Cheers,

George

Back