What's new
What's new

4C Collet closer for Clausing 4913 10"

Paul D Narlesky

Plastic
Hello All, New to the forum. I bought a nice little used Clausing 4913 10" lathe and am having difficulty locating a 4c collet closer for the machine. Can someone point me in the right direction. I see very little 4C stuff on the big auction site but there is where I check from time to time. I already made the mistake of buying a cheap chuck. The machine though new to me is about 35 years young and is pretty clean and runs well. I have it set up on 220 single phase. I have still a learning curve to climb and get much more familiar with it. Your in put is much appreciated. Best, Paul

Paul,

I think I have one that I have been wanting to put on eBay. If I have a chance tonight, I will measure its length and take a picture. If I recall correctly, it is a Royal brand, made in New York, with a handwheel style closing action.

Jon

I'd like the dimensions too, I'm making a drawtube.

Jon,
If you could pass on the dimensions I'd greatly appreciate it. I've cut down a piece of DOM tubing to fit through the bore of my 4914 and threaded it to accept 4C collets. That's as far as I progressed. A set of known good dimensions might be the kick in the pants I need to finish the project.

-Mike

Draw Tube Dimebsions

These are the dimensions from my draw tube for my 4913.
From the closer wheel to the end is 15 7/8 long.
From the closer wheel to shoulder (that's what I call it) is 2 5/8 long
Just the tube is 13 1/4.

Tim

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay. I was able to find the closer and take measurements and photos:

Here is the closer, showing the tube length of 13 inches from the tip to the start of the bevel (the part of the bevel with the smallest diameter). The tip to the widest part of the bevel is about 13.25 inches. It sounds as though it might actually fit on your machine, based on the measurements made by Tim:
DSC00525.jpg

Here is a pic of the handle. It is stamped with:

MANUFACTURED BY
ROYAL PROD'S, PLAINVIEW, L.I., N.Y.

DSC00527.jpg

I also have some collets:

DSC00528.jpg

The sizes, brands, and materials of the collets are:

brass, South Bend: 3/16, 1/4, 31/64, 1/2, and 3/4
steel, South Bend: 5/16
steel, Hardinge: 19/32

I don't know what is a fair price for this stuff, but I have no need for it now. Everything is in good mechanical condition, but with some oxidation, as can be seen in the pics.

-Jon

Jon:

If Paul passes on the collet closer and collets, I am interested in it. I have not seen any lately on fleece bay so I can not offer a possible value.

Paul T. Good idea except for the 1 3/4 inch spindle nose and the difficulty in finding an adaptor plate.

Thanks,

Rick

Jon the Collet closer...... I am sure we can work..

something out. I just got in on the hour and have been away a couple days for the 4th of July, up in the mountains. Up to about 10,200 on foot (Yes we got rained on)and a bit higher driving the old Alpine road in the Rockies. Let me get some stuff settled in and I will measure my machine Thanks much & Best,Paul

Hi Paul,

Welcome back from your travels. Let me know what you think. You may want to ask around to figure out what is fair. I have a UPS account so shipping is not difficult for me.

I don't know what the spindle taper is for your lathe, but I think you will need to get some sort of nose adapter piece whose outside fits into the lathe spindle, and whose inside matches that of the 4C collet.

Maybe Tim can explain what his setup looks like.

Hope everyone had a good holiday weekend... Jon

There is a spindle adapter that is needed for the 4C collets. For the 4900 series it is 4MT-4C. I also use a thread protector screwed on to the spindle and then insert the collet adapter. I have seen on some collet adapters that there is a bigger shoulder on them than mine so that when you unscrew the thread protector, it will push out the adapter. I have to insert from the hand wheel side a long wooden dowel and tap the adapter out. I have posted some pictures so you can get an idea.

Tim

Last edited:
Here's how I made a spindle nose for the 5C closer on my lathe:

This is what my spindle looks like with a chuck on it:
DSC00529.jpg

Here is the spindle (it has an L-0 long taper)
DSC00532.jpg

Here are the critical parts I needed, in addition to the 5C closer tube:
DSC00530.jpg

On the left is an aluminum L0 spindle cap, to which I added a little plate, into which the hardened steel 5MT to 5C adapter (on the right) fits.

Here is a pic of the other side, with a 5C collet:
DSC00531.jpg

The plate I added to the aluminum spindle cap is held on by 4 small (8-32 or 10-32) socket cap screws.

Here's what it looks like, installed (the closer tube is shown also):
DSC00534.jpg

And here, with a piece in the collet:
DSC00536.jpg

If you can't find a 4MT to 4C adapter piece, it may be a worthwhile project to make your own. Or one should eventually turn up somewhere. Maybe a machinery dealer on this site has one in inventory somewhere?

This ended up being a scrounging and modifying project. I got the aluminum L-0 spindle nose cap off of eBay (it had been a homemade job), and adapted that to fit the 5MT to 5C sleeve (Royal brand), which also came from eBay. The collet closer tube I got from a local machinery dealer, and turned down the back end to shorten it to the right length for my lathe.

One thing that is nice about a regular collet setup is that the workpiece does not protrude too far from the headstock, compared to a chucked workpiece.

Back