What's new
What's new

Tapered reamers

RLamparter

Hot Rolled
I have an opportunity to buy a lot of new Jarno taper reamers and tapered pin reamers at a pretty reasonable price. I don't have a personal use for either. Is there any demand for either type of reamer among the members here? If so, which sizes? Using MSC and McMaster Carr as the standard, at what percentage of new price would they be of interest?

I have Jarno tapers for the centers on my OD grinder but I can't imagine why I would want to make Jarno female tapers. Maybe worth $2.00/lb for scrap HSS?

The standard taper pin reamers should be slightly more valuable. Everybody that repairs older machines should have a set from about #1-#5. I would think they would sell at 10-20% of new price. The #6 and up stuff I would think 10% max, and thats to a pretty limited audience. I sold a #13 USA here for about 7% of new import, with shipping it cost the buyer about 12% of new.

Thanks Gbent. I may pick up a couple of sets of smaller taper pin reamers. I was familiar with the term Jarno taper but really didn't have any idea where and in what types of machines Jarno tapers were used. I did guess that tapered reamers in general would be most useful to someone who was restoring an old machine with a buggered taper.

They're coming from a manufacturer which closed its doors and they're selling to the locals rather than having an auction and getting even less for it than they're selling things for piecemeal. I was down over the weekend and picked up their morse taper gages in sizes 2 and 3 since those are the sizes my machines use and will make some future projects easier. Some of the reamers there are old enough to be carbon steel rather than HSS. There are lots of standard size straight reamers, some of which are expansion reamers. I think the best stuff's already been picked over by the small shops in the area.

Back