What's new
What's new

5C Collet Thread Cleaning Tool

projectnut

Stainless
I needed to make a number of small parts in my collet chuck today, so I inserted a threaded stop in one of the collets. The first one went fine, but when I went to change sizes the stop only went in about 3 threads and stopped. I tried cleaning the internal threads with a dental pick and finally managed to get the stop to fully seat.

That got me curious so I tried the stop in several other collets. On some it went in fine, on others it was difficult others, and on some it just plain wouldn't go without applying excessive force.

I made an arbor with 1.041-24 threads and was able to clean the threads on the majority of the of the collets. There are still a few however that won't accept the collet stop. Ironically they aren't the cheapies, but by in large the Hardinge and Royals. Granted they are the oldest of the bunch.

So my question is does anyone make a tool to clean the rust and debris out of the threads without damaging or enlarging them? I'd rather buy a cheap tool to do the job than spend hours with a dental pick trying to get them clean.

I use a thread cleaner that I make, take a piece of heavy wire (I use 3/16 rod the same stuff that 5 gallon bucket handles are made of) bend it into a tight "u" then bend the ends out to 90°, then grind the ends to the thread shape, squeeze the ends closer together insert it into the thread let go and turn it to clean the threads.

Back