What's new
What's new

Lagun FTV-1S Motor Removal Question

Mickey_D

Stainless
I picked up a Lagun FTV-1S variable speed mill to replace my old Enco Taiwan mill (Millacron's favorite brand - just joking, but it really was not that bad), and because the previous owner wired it 440 instead of 220 when they were rearranging their shop, they let most of the smoke out of the motor. I need to repair or replace it and am looking for the trick on getting the motor out without ordering the manual? Seems like a nice machine but it would be a lot more useful if I could get it to run.

Laguns are a little toughter to get the motor up and out because pulley is about the same size as the pilot for the motor. Make sure the speed adjuster is at full rpm first. this will give as much freedom in the belt as you can get. I usually unwire the motor so it can be taken completely down, then pull the two motor bolts and the plate on the bottom of the head below the motor.
Now the wrestling begins. LIft the motor about 1 inch and tip the top back while tipping the bottom end of the shaft towards the spindle. When you have it in the right position, the motor will sort of hang to the back and the belt will be starting to come off the motor pulley. reach in from the bottom and turn the pulley, work the belt off the pulley.

Theres other ways to do it too but this usually works for me. To pull the pulley apart, I usually just push on the keeper plate on the shaft and compress the spring enough to get some snap ring pliers on the ring and hold the plate down with one hand and my knee and remove the snap ring.
The shaft the pulley slides on is a bolt on extension on the lagun motors. Dont take it off until the spring has been relaxed.

I was afraid of that. I had to spend a couple of hours wrestling with my Hurco to get it under a door and it almost kicked my ass. Do you know if that is a standard motor and if I could replace it with a regular C face european style motor?

A regular c face wont work without some modification. The pulley shaft is an extension that is held on with a key and a bolt through the center. Just have that one rewound the cost shouldnt be much different tha getting something and modifying it. A motor from lagun though is about $800.
I have converted 2 laguns to vfd and timing belts using c face motors and taper lock pulleys. complete different scenario.

Thanks J, pulling the motor was a breeze. Found out today that the good local motor shops have a 4 to 5 week wait on a rewind, so I tried swapping on the motor/vs drive from my Hurco SMB1 and it works like a champ. The motor is a little different, but the holes lined up and the varispeed drive lined up, so I gave a try and it works. I am going to keep an eye out for another motor for a week or so, and if no luck, take the old one in for a rebuild.

Back