What's new
What's new

90 degree magnetic drill press

dwilliams35

Aluminum
Anybody know whether someone makes a 90 degree magnetic drill press? I know it'd have to have a heck of a magnet to get that side load covered, but we've got plenty of room for the magnet: If I can't find something like this, we'll just put an angle plate up and attach the magnet to that, but the fixturing will have to get a little nuts.

Milwaukee makes magnetic drill presses. The one I remember using we used for drilling semi truck frames and it also had chains to help support it.

I thought he was talking about a mag drill that drilled at 90 degrees to the magnet holding direction.
And I have sure never seen one.

The Hougen is a low profile drill, most of the majors make one of that style. It isnt as tall, but its still the same relationship between drilling direction and magnet as any other mag drill.

Seems like if anybody made a 90 degree mag drill, it would be somebody like Nitto-
http://www.nittokohki.com/tools/products/machinetools/automaticdrills/index.html
But they dont either.

Me, I would either clamp, or just tack weld, a big hunk of 6" x 3/4" angle on, and mag to that.

I thought he was talking about a mag drill that drilled at 90 degrees to the magnet holding direction.
And I have sure never seen one.

The Hougen is a low profile drill, most of the majors make one of that style. It isnt as tall, but its still the same relationship between drilling direction and magnet as any other mag drill.

Seems like if anybody made a 90 degree mag drill, it would be somebody like Nitto-
http://www.nittokohki.com/tools/products/machinetools/automaticdrills/index.html
But they dont either.

Me, I would either clamp, or just tack weld, a big hunk of 6" x 3/4" angle on, and mag to that.
Yep, Im looking for the 90 degree to the holding direction as you say: Ive never seen one either. We've got a heck of a lot of holes to drill in this thing but there's really not any surface to speak of to "clamp" to: I'm sure we'll just end up building a fixture to do it with, but its going to be pretty labor intensive to set it up.

Thanks, guys. It was worth a shot.

How many holes? What dia.? How deep? What material - I beam, angle or ? Is this a field job? Are you on the ground or hanging from a ladder? Do you want your holes taped, sloted or ? Talk to me

Back