What's new
What's new

AB Tools, Inc. makers of the Shear-Hog wants feed back

AlfredLyon

Aluminum
Hello PM community,

AB Tools has been manufacturing special rotary cutting tools since 1977. I have been working for them for 27 years. I recently joined Instagram , and I know that many of you are not thrilled with social media. While on there I was told to check out PM and I think it is great. The machinist community coming together to learn and teach is just great.

So if anybody has used any of our cutters please chime in, good or bad.

I'll leave you with a link to a youtube video of some of our in stock cutters . Sorry but there is no sound, I don't know why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUR_urA-4OA

Thanks, Alfred
Grinding supervisor

Last edited:
I've had great luck with AB tools customs, indexable and brazed carbide.

I wish you guys made PCD form tools.

I was pretty unimpressed with the shear hog. There are much better tools out there for aluminum.

I was pretty unimpressed with the shear hog. There are much better tools out there for aluminum.

1-agreed
2-agreed
3-talk is cheap Wesssssssssss, especially without name dropping

I used to work in an aluminum foundry. I'd say 80% of the "milling" done to a casting is face milling. Face milling castings really sucks. The castings are inconsistent, so your theoretical .1" DOC can become .4" because some yahoo forgot to cut the gate in the right spot.

Also, castings are usually thin and hard to hold onto. That means they can vibrate and that is hell on inserts.

We tried a few PCD mills, but the silicon inclusions in the castings just destroyed the inserts and it got too costly to replace them. The best mills we used were from Walter. They had a DLC coating and 4 edges on the inserts. They could do everything but ramp.

For ramping and slotting, Seco and Iscar make really nice inserts mills for aluminum. Sumitomo and Mitsubishi are also very good in this area. These tools are very similar to the Ripper Mill sold by exkenna.

I'm sorry that you were unhappy with it. Sometimes , and it may not be so in your case, people don't feed it hard enough. Depending on your machines available hp at the spindle , the shear-hog has tested very well against other similar cutters by impartial users. Also we have many sizes and styles and while one might not work for you, another might. I'm not going to try to convince you since you have used one then you are the best judge. If you should like to try a different style please contact [email protected] and perhaps we can send you a trial cutter no charge?

I am happy that you have had success with other cutters from us and i hope you keep us in mind the next time you need something special.

The shear hog has saved us a lot of time roughing out aluminum. Granted, I have never used other indexable aluminum cutters, besides a mitsubishi, and the shear hog (1 inch) beats it out.

I got your single flute 1.0 diameter cutter from Colmar (Aaron) and used it to rough a 2 ft X 4 ft X 1-1/2 ft block of aluminum and semi finish it was a JOY to watch. VERY impressed with your tool. Thank You.

I have a 2" shear hog and it fills the chip bin so fast I had to get 4 Rubbermaid large wheeled trash containers to keep up with it. It would be a real PITA for me to use it without a chip conveyor.

I love my AB Tools picitinny rail cutter! Didn't like paying for it. But, sure glad I did! It tripled production instantly.
I'm glad you like it! We have made variations of that cutter for years. Once I got on instagram Ken Spaulding , owner of Zodiac Engineering, told me I should stock those. Sounded like a good idea and now we've sold a few.

Back