What's new
What's new

Best Broach Brands?

SND

Diamond
In the world of fairly regular keyway broaches, is Dumont the only one left? the only other broach manufacturers google is giving me all do big custom broaches.
I go through quite a few of the 3/16-B size, and quite frankly really tired of the rather low dumont quality on these, pretty near always .001" over size on width, had one over .191"..., the ones that are close I hone down until its ok, so I'd like to find something better if possible and quit wasting time. Sadly I don't have a surface grinder, yet. Now some of their bigger ones have been fine/ok, but for some reason these little ones are never quite right, and its been like that for years.

thanks.

^ Thought female key ways are spose to be fractionally over size? Especially as Key steels also over size general to be a secure fit.

^ Thought female key ways are spose to be fractionally over size? Especially as Key steels also over size general to be a secure fit.

+1

The keyways we broach using dumont broaches all need +.001 keyway stock to get a tight slip fit, that the same as the keyways in all the pulleys/gears etc we buy in.

What I'm saying is they're over the tolerance they're supposed to be...been getting .1895" to .191" right on their site it says .1877-.1887. I've gotten 2 out of at least 10 that were actually within that, I have to keep these parts on the tighter side. So in the end I'm still looking to see if there's anyone else left in that biz that might be worth trying and see if they'll be any better or not.

SND: When you say it's oversize, are you describing the cutter or the resultant keyway? If it's the keyway, it may be something other than the broach's fault.
JH

Having been forced to tighten up a broach for a similar need, they can be milled quite readily with a good sharp carbide endmill if you only need to remove a couple of thousandths. The endmill might be 'done' afterwards, but you can get away with only using up a 1/4" endmill, so no big deal.

On your cnc, you can actually improve the broach cutting action by relieving the sides of the teeth as you narrow things up. However, this requires quite a bit more complexity because you'd need to set up the broach so the gullets are vertical (on the cutting edge side) so that the relieving doesn't undercut the edge.

I found that the broach is a lot easier to push with the relief cut on the sides, as well, might be important if you are using an arbor press.

Did you consider picking up the phone and calling Dumont and discussing the issue with them? If you are going thru so many broaches, are you breaking them or are they dull? If dull, and you have a handful, send them out to be sharpened- cost is pretty reasonable if you have a fistful. Ask Dumont for a cost on resharpening them as well.

Having been forced to tighten up a broach for a similar need, they can be milled quite readily with a good sharp carbide endmill if you only need to remove a couple of thousandths. The endmill might be 'done' afterwards, but you can get away with only using up a 1/4" endmill, so no big deal.

On your cnc, you can actually improve the broach cutting action by relieving the sides of the teeth as you narrow things up. However, this requires quite a bit more complexity because you'd need to set up the broach so the gullets are vertical (on the cutting edge side) so that the relieving doesn't undercut the edge.

I found that the broach is a lot easier to push with the relief cut on the sides, as well, might be important if you are using an arbor press.

I had been thinking of milling a little off with carbide, good to hear it could work, was also thinking of putting an arbor with a grinding wheel in the mill just to touch them up a bit on the sides and maybe even sharpen them a little more. They don't last forever in duplex and stainless.

Back