What's new
What's new

OT- Ever traveled on Hwy 21 between Elkin, NC and Independance, VA ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Need to pick up in iron in VA and just wondering what that section of road thru the mountains is like. On the map, looks potentially problematic at Stony Knob...as in lots of hairpin curves. What say ye, experienced Smokey Mountain travelers ? :)

Eighteen wheeler.... maybe a problem. Dually with a neckover and good brakes it's no problem.

Since you'll most likely be traveling on I-77 I would take VA 58 West through Galax.... Independance is the next town.

We rip that road up pretty good on MC's,so please be EXTREMELY careful on this and all mountain rds when towing....anything.You can quickly get into situations of basically no return.I'll second the Galax 58 rt.BW

What did you buy?
2007 KMT C370A NC (CNC Automatic Cold Saw). The slightly interesting part is the seller of same is Natilius. Never occured to me they might be manufacturing fitness equipment in "middle of nowhere" VA

We rip that road up pretty good on MC's,so please be EXTREMELY careful on this and all mountain rds when towing....anything.You can quickly get into situations of basically no return.I'll second the Galax 58 rt.BW
Not towing... one ton dually pickup empty on the way up and with pidley 2,000 lbs in the back on return trip (I've had 6,000 lbs back there before with no problem)

Shoot,2k is a nice load then.I retrieve tossed/wrecked bikes alot.......'07 F150 2wd handles our twisty's noticably better with a 500# wad strapped in back.The whole "Ford country" thing for us surrounds around manual trans and rearend ratios moreso than HP.If it ain't right,your truck's gonna get a real workout.BW

Agree with TFPace, sticking with I-77 , take VA 58 W. to Galax. Hwy21 is nice enough for a car ride but not so pretty hauling a load or a trailer behind you. Even in a car I tend to take hwy77-hwy58 going to Independence. Been a while but seem to recall that the travel time wasn't much different.

Well, now you guys have got me so curious about Hwy 21 I think I will take it going up (i.e when empty) but take Hwy 58 back ! I only wish I was driving my sports car instead of this dang truck !

Try...........one steering input per turn,smoothly unwinding steering wheel on exit.....if you have to add more steering in curve,your "turn-in" was early.Slow-in=Fast-out and vs-vs WRT speed in a turn.BW

Nothing worse than getting on one of those roads, trying to drive somewhat carefully, and having some jackass in a sports car ride your bumper the whole way because he is upset people are driving on his personal race track.

FWIW, I stayed in Elkin overnight, went via Hwy 21 the following morning. No hairpin curves...only some "S" curves crossing Stony Knob. Really glad I went that way....beautiful drive and interesting to see Sparta, NC as well...home of the Dr. Grabow pipe factory !

Once the iron was loaded I returned the "longer but all four lane way" via Hwy 58 thru Galax. But really, Hwy 21 is the way to go if in daylight and good weather. Eighteen wheelers used Hwy 21 as well, thankfully not too many though. :cheers:

Back