What's new
What's new

Accurate hole location on 1.5mm holes at 25mm of depth

Marcuschrist

Aluminum
Recently been asked to quote on a job that'll be used to calibrate some pretty high end ultrasonic Gear. Basically there's a series of different 25mm thick plates hardened to about 28 HRC that need multiple 1.5mm holes drilled all the way through. The drawings came without tolerances and when I asked the engineer he wanted them within 0.02mm of each other which seemed pretty vague. I have access to a brand new BM-63VE that a good friend of mine owns which I'd prefer using as I don't trust the wear in either of my mills for this job. Has anyone had any luck with similar jobs? I don't even know what to quote but I've offered to drill a sample before I give an accurate quote. I feel like this job has been turned down by a few other people before me, breaking a drill is apparently not an option either.

************ me.JPG

What's the tolerance on the hole? Nothing stopping you from drilling undersize and either plunging with a 1/16 carbide endmill or coming back with an onsize carbide drill.

they didn't specify a tolerance for the hole but 1.5mm is apparently the ASME standard for what ever it is they're calibrating.
one of the engineers is dropping around a sample tomorrow so I can talk it over then. As to carbide I'm limited to about 3500RPM and my smallest ER collet is a 1mm-2mm, I was hoping to get away with spotting and using a HSS-Co drill. Is there even a carbide end mill that'll safely give me 25mm of depth?

Off the shelf? Harvey will have something, personally I'd relieve a regular length in house. I would imagine double drilling the hole should get you fairly close barring any mechanical issues with the machine.

0,02mm tolerance on exit side with 17:1 ratio hole dimensions? Sounds like gun drilling job to me.
(Just a home shop hack here and I'm happy to be proven wrong)

Edit: and if the tolerance is relative to other holes you need to get the invidual hole positions to +-0,01mm.
Even just measuring the hole locations could be interesting.

Found out there was just a degree of miscommunication between the engineers and the tolerance was "0.2mm" which might as well have been a sausage down a hallway. 2500rpm or so peck drilling with trefolex and no coolant, actually drilled quite nicely.

21392809_10155708173389993_1575527100_o.jpg

Difficult, get pressure or speed wrong and they wander, even titex solid carbide, is getting it EDM cut possible?, at least it will come out where you expect!, I had moderate success drilling a plug with the hole in a collet and shrink fitting on one occasion (I think it was less than 1.5mm, the plug was 6mm rod)
I drilled and reamed the 5.88 I think or 5.95 thereabouts on the mill and heated the part, nitrogen dipped the plug and dropped it in, it's still there I beleive.
Mark

Back