What's new
What's new

Acer e-mill ?

scomeau1

Plastic
I'm looking to buy the ACER E-mill™ 3VKH E-mill™

And would like to know what you think of "ACER" and the E-Mill 3VKH and
what you think of the Quality of the machine.

I'm looking for QUALITY built milling machine no junk!

Thanks for your input.

Scott

We worked the snot out of four of those at the local comm college. they seem to be well built and they were sweet with newall dro's. The X and Y are super smooth and free moving Not sure why but they felt like ball screws and had little to no backlash (2 year old machines) The low end of the vfd control seemed to lack torque compared to a vari speed belt machine but never stalled one. unlike the acer e lathes which didnt like .25 doc in 6" dia aluminum at .012ipr

overall they were smooth and seemed rigid enough.

Sawyer

I have a Sharp mill at home with the variable belt drive and I use a Sharp mill at that has the electronic drive at work. Both are great machines, but I perfer the belt drive due to it being quiet when the spindle isn't running. The electronic drive idles with the fan running which I find very annoying to the point of turning the machine off if I'm not using for even a short length of time.

Tom

I've had a 3vkh for ~three years now. Overall I like the machine. The head is pretty big, and it makes me nervous to tip it, due to the weight of it. Other than that, I have no complaints. If I did a lot of work with the head tipped, I would probably look into a smaller machine.
Jim

I'm going back and forth from ACER & SHARP milling machines to buy.

I like both but with the ACER E-Mill you can get the AC frequency inverter drive that will let me run single phase power on 220 Volt.

I do not have three phase power at my location.

I like the Sharp mills but I think all there units need three phase power.

Correct me if I'm wrong ?

Thanks Scott

looking to buy an acer e-1050b or an acer e-1454 would like to know if anyone can tell me if the holed up to large drilling

I'm going back and forth from ACER & SHARP milling machines to buy.

I like both but with the ACER E-Mill you can get the AC frequency inverter drive that will let me run single phase power on 220 Volt.

I do not have three phase power at my location.

I like the Sharp mills but I think all there units need three phase power.

Correct me if I'm wrong ?

Thanks Scott

The Sharp mills with the electronic variable speed (DVS) come with a Yaskawa V1000 VFD that according to the manual is supposed to run on three phase only. Sharp claims that it will run on single phase and I have so far been successfully running it on single phase. If I eventually burn it up, Yaskawa makes the exact same drive in a single phase input configuration for about $600 that I will replace it with.

looking to buy an acer e-1050b or an acer e-1454 would like to know if anyone can tell me if the holed up to large drilling

The motors are oversized on the electronic variable speed mills to compensate for the loss of torque at low speed. The original J-Head mills only had a 1 hp motor and the new e mills come with a 3-5 hp motor on the same size machine, so they should perform equally well.

scomeau1: I bought a new 3VKmill about 21 years ago. Love it. I have run Sharp m ills, but would refer my Acer. If I were buying today, I would try to get another Acer. Mine is still running on the original gib settings, probably could do with a minor adjustment, but still doing good. Lots of luck.

JH

although i have heard good things from a friends shop who has one i am not familiar with their mills but i have an 'e lathe' that i really like. well built, plenty of power, rigid for it's size, smooth running, lots of options, variable speed, etc.
the bonus with acer is someone actually not only answers the phone when you have an issue but they are always friendly as hell and not stingy with their time, one of the tech guys spent almost 2 hours on the phone with me a few months ago when i was having some electronics issues, turned out to be a bad speed pot and he had me run through everything else 'just in case' and even called me back the next day to make sure all was well.
and parts are available, they say everything is pretty much in stock or can be had quickly.

Back