What's new
What's new

How to check oil sample

e44sp

Plastic
Hi there I live and work here in MIchigan. I would like too know if anyone would know where I cold send some oil to be check out? Need to get some machines check to see if it need changing. Also need to be low price, Thanks for your input Ed

I have some experience with oil samples which I'd like to share, you might not like what I say. Oil sample reports are like the inventory of parts in a warehouse, it tells you what is in the oil, but it doesn't say if the parts are any good, or what they fit, its just numbers.

The value of sampling is HISTORY, each oil blend is somewhat unique with additive packages, so mixing of different oils skew the Base number. So a random sample without history will be almost useless unless there is a Huge problem in the sample Glycol, Water, Iron, Silcon, Aluminum etc. What the oil is used for, Hydraulic's, or spindle lube, Way lube. To ask that the sample tell you when to change the oil, is like asking the doctor exactly what day you will die after your physical exam, not possible.

If you want to start a program of sampling, it begins with a sample of New oil same Brand, Type in all ways, then a sample from each machine that uses that oil, now you have a base to start with, you can compare over time the changes in the material in the oil. With this you might see a unit that has some element increasing when the other machines are not.

My experience is with Diesel engine sampling, gearboxes and hydraulics will show far fewer elements than an engine. Contamination would seem the most common problem with Machine oils, Water, Sodium, Glycols, and then the wear metals load. The labs for the most part just want to tell you the results, its up to you to figure out the problem.

Its possible the machine make has some info. on element levels, it would be easy to ask, my guess is they do not.

Back