What's new
What's new

OT-cats in shop?

stoneaxe

Stainless
My cats stay in the garage -shop at night-given their constant grooming, I was wondering if anyone had heard of cats injuring themselves by ingesting metal chips on their fur. The place is pretty clean but there are always a few chips here and there.

I'd be more worried by chips in the feet than chips in the fur since cat's paws can bleed quite well when they are cut

Boris

I've had a cat in my warehouse/shop about two years now and no problems in that regard yet. Biggest problem is occassional cat footprints on pristine ground surfaces. Cat is funny sometimes in that he might be perched nine feet up on top of a radial drill or VMC looking down at what I'd doing.

If I were to permit a cat, the biggest worry I'd have is poop in oil-dry. A cat can be a very good predator, but not so smart about other things. But they are usually able to learn when things ain't good, just as long as it isn't a puddle of antifreeze

Yes, cats can injure themselves by injesting shop swarf. I lost a cat that ate some plastic shavings - and she was a fussy eater. I like cats (and dogs) and have had quite a number. But street (and shop) smart they are not. Best advice - keep it clean.

Whit Nash

the lab is never allowed in the shop. firstly i dont feel like vacuming all the time. also it is a dangerous distraction to have him around.

The dog is banned... I get enough stainless "needles" in my fingers from milling.. I'm very sure the dog would lie down and would be covered in them in no time, and he does occassionaly try to clean himself. Cats would be worse, but we're "between" cats right now.

Probably better to keep the cat out unless you have immaculate dust collection.

By the way, if the cat is eating it, you're breathing it. Which is worse?

Yes, had cat in shop for ten years or so.

No problem at all.

I don't know how she took care of things; I left it up to her. She must've had a method of some sort.

Edit and Addendum... ah, what the hell...may as well elaborate...

It was more like twelve-thirteen years. Best co-worker i've ever had, even if we did argue about stuff sometimes. She died of old age a few years ago.

I buried her under the shop floor. Embedded a small steel name plate into the concrete to mark the grave.

And many years from now, when i'm gone, all that will be left is that steel plate with one word on it, and maybe someday someone will pause momentarily and wonder why....

I had a cat that would eat shiny objects,like polished steel parts. She ate the top jaw from a flintlock pistol I was making!

Too,I keep the floor clean of chips because I don't want chips in my pet's feet. You are liable to find a cat making himself comfortable in a pile of oily chips in your lathe's chip pan.

Cats will also drink antifreeze. I don't know what coolants might taste sweet to them.

I lost a cat that ate some plastic shavings - and she was a fussy eater.

I have one that eats string, twist ties, cardboard, anything chewy like that, plastic shavings would be a natural inclusion.

I remember a dog at a glass shop that walked on piles of broken glass all day, never had a cut. I don't know if his paws were toughened up from it or just resistant.

A friend's dog went blind from watching him weld. i don't know if a cat would do that or not.

Like I could keep the cats out if I wanted to:rolleyes5: They pretty much do whatever they want, when they want. If fact, if I chase them they just go deeper into the metal storage racks. Not just my two but the cat from next door also.

We have a cat in the shop. Nice entertainment and stress reliever too. Pops enjoys brushing her and the GSD & Happy the cat play well together. The cat is pretty efficient at mousing too.

I've had 'em in the shop here..... shavings not apparently a problem.... one did have a blockage, but it was apparently from eating CARDBOARD.... reason for eating it unknown, food bowl was OK. That cat had other problems. But two cats besides him have been in the shop for years, one even a longhair, and were fine. Currently no cats allowed.....

I like cats... they are independent, but a cat is about the most appreciative animal there is. If a cat is happy and purring on your lap, shoulder, etc, that cat MEANS it.... not like a dog that is pretty much hard-wired to be friendly to pack members (I like dogs too, don't get me wrong).

Yes, cats can injure themselves by injesting shop swarf. I lost a cat that ate some plastic shavings - and she was a fussy eater. I like cats (and dogs) and have had quite a number. But street (and shop) smart they are not. Best advice - keep it clean.

Whit Nash

Yep, a buddy says his shop cats eat the plastic swarf, and he has to pull it out of their butts.

If the cats were not spayed /neutered before puberty, expect them to pee/spray on anything whose smell isn't to their liking.

My dog is in the shop everyday. Haven't made any special considerations and I've never had any problems. I'll be putting in a doggy door between the shop and office area in the new building for him. It takes a lot of time out of my day letting him in and out. :D

As for cats, they are disposable.

My dog is in the shop everyday. Haven't made any special considerations and I've never had any problems. I'll be putting in a doggy door between the shop and office area in the new building for him. It takes a lot of time out of my day letting him in and out. :D

As for cats, they are disposable.

My Mini-Dachshunds are fine in the shop... It's one of the only places where they don't get into shit really- metal isn't chewy.

Aluminum chips don't seem to hurt their feet either- I'd imagine needly steel chips from HSM paths etc would, we keep that stuff swept up though.

Back