What's new
What's new

Acu-Rite 200S or VUE?

mwierowski

Plastic
I bought a used Bridgeport that came with an Acu-Rite III DRO. Recently the X axis has started randomly zeros itself and will stop displaying any change in movement on the X axis. If I turn the DRO off for a bit and then back on, the X axis will operate normally again for a few minutes and then start acting up again.

I swapped the scale inputs on the back of the DRO and the issue continues with the X axis display but using the Y axis scale. The X axis scale seems to be working fine when plugged into the Y axis input. So this leads me to believe that both scales are operating normally and the issue is with the DRO unit itself.

Since the Acu-Rite scales seem to be okay, I am looking at replacing the DRO with an Acu-Rite 200S or VUE. From what I can tell all the features of the two seem to be identical. So besides the physical appearance of the two systems are there any other differences between the 200S and the VUE? Pros and Cons of either one?

I called Acu-Rite and was told I can order an adapter cable for the older MS 6 pin connector to the D9 connector. What I haven't been able to find is is the resolution of the current scales. I am hoping I can locate a part number without having to remove the scale itself. Does anyone know where the part number on the mini-scales are located? I haven't been able to find any identification numbers on the two scales on my mill. Not sure if they rubbed off over time?

If I cannot determine the proper resolution of the scales, when setting up the new DRO what should I use to set the scales? Just guess and then check for accuracy and adjust if the DRO doesn't display accurate measurements?

Thanks in advance for any help and insight,
-Mike

I bought a used Bridgeport that came with an Acu-Rite III DRO. Recently the X axis has started randomly zeros itself and will stop displaying any change in movement on the X axis. If I turn the DRO off for a bit and then back on, the X axis will operate normally again for a few minutes and then start acting up again.

I swapped the scale inputs on the back of the DRO and the issue continues with the X axis display but using the Y axis scale. The X axis scale seems to be working fine when plugged into the Y axis input. So this leads me to believe that both scales are operating normally and the issue is with the DRO unit itself.

Since the Acu-Rite scales seem to be okay, I am looking at replacing the DRO with an Acu-Rite 200S or VUE. From what I can tell all the features of the two seem to be identical. So besides the physical appearance of the two systems are there any other differences between the 200S and the VUE? Pros and Cons of either one?

I called Acu-Rite and was told I can order an adapter cable for the older MS 6 pin connector to the D9 connector. What I haven't been able to find is is the resolution of the current scales. I am hoping I can locate a part number without having to remove the scale itself. Does anyone know where the part number on the mini-scales are located? I haven't been able to find any identification numbers on the two scales on my mill. Not sure if they rubbed off over time?

If I cannot determine the proper resolution of the scales, when setting up the new DRO what should I use to set the scales? Just guess and then check for accuracy and adjust if the DRO doesn't display accurate measurements?

Thanks in advance for any help and insight,
-Mike

The existing display is set to the scale resolution by dip switches. Download the manual if you don't have and go to page 2-2.

I have the 200S at home, and the VUE where I work. The 200S has real buttons, the VUE a membrane keypad. I detest membrane keypads. You may not have all the functions of either new unit using old scales. For example, with the new scales and the 200S you can lose power to the DRO and it will find it's original position and references with just a couple of inches movement after power comes back up.

Gotta agree with Gordon, I prefer the keys of the VUE.

Your old scales are most likely 10um, but Ziggy nailed it right on the money. Check the dipswitches and go from there to see exactly what it is you have.

If you wait a month or two, you can get the new DR101/102/103 or the DRO203. They havent been released yet, but they look sweet as all get out. The DRO100 series is more for the hobbyist machinist and has less of the cool features and doohickieys while the DRO203 is their more run of the mill DRO's.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Thanks for the feedback guys and Jon thanks for the tip about the new DRO's. I'm not in any hurry so I'll wait to see what the new DRO's offer.

Jon,
Where can I get additional info on the DRO's you
mentioned ? I looked at Acu-rite's site but saw nothing
about the new lineup. I'm also looking to buy one.
spaeth

Jon,
Where can I get additional info on the DRO's you
mentioned ? I looked at Acu-rite's site but saw nothing
about the new lineup. I'm also looking to buy one.
spaeth

As of right now it has been announced, but hasnt been released. Once we get some more information, I will let you know.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

300S....much clearer screen, viewable from extreme angles and color. As to scale resolution with new display...easy as falling off a log to simply mess with the scale menu selections until the numbers displayed, match reality.

IMG_3437.jpg

More expensive of course....

Gotta agree with Gordon, I prefer the keys of the VUE.

Your old scales are most likely 10um, but Ziggy nailed it right on the money. Check the dipswitches and go from there to see exactly what it is you have.

If you wait a month or two, you can get the new DR101/102/103 or the DRO203. They havent been released yet, but they look sweet as all get out. The DRO100 series is more for the hobbyist machinist and has less of the cool features and doohickieys while the DRO203 is their more run of the mill DRO's.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Will you have a fire sale on the older models to clean out inventory? :D

I think you should owe it to yourself to look at Newall DRO's. I feel they are far superior to all others.

I did look at Newall, but if I went that route I would have to replace the scales as well unless I missed something and the Newall DRO's will work with older Acu-Rite scales?

@rklopp ahahahaha i think what I heard is theyll still be selling the current models for a good while longer, so I dont know when that fire sale will start.

@mwierowski I have heard this as well, nev er seen it done. It needs a specific reader head at least for that, I think its called the DSG or DMG scales. Again, they advertise it, but I have never seen it done myself.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Back