What's new
What's new

Adapting Bridgeport M-head to Burke #4 Milling Machine

rolleikin

Plastic
Hello, everyone,

I own a Burke #4 milling machine, probably from the 50's or so. It is a horizontal mill with an overarm support and the factory provided a vertical head for it. My machine did not come with a vertical head and I am not sure I really need one, for the kind of use I get out of the machine.

This past week, someone offered me a Bridgeport M-head. It needs some work to make it completely usable, but I am not averse to a little project, even if I am not too familiar with the Bridgeport family of products.

How can I adapt this M-head to mount to my Burke's overarm support? Please provide as much detail as possible, as this will be my first adventure with this adaptation.

Thank you.
Andrei

Hello, everyone,

I own a Burke #4 milling machine, probably from the 50's or so. It is a horizontal mill with an overarm support and the factory provided a vertical head for it. My machine did not come with a vertical head and I am not sure I really need one, for the kind of use I get out of the machine.

This past week, someone offered me a Bridgeport M-head. It needs some work to make it completely usable, but I am not averse to a little project, even if I am not too familiar with the Bridgeport family of products.

How can I adapt this M-head to mount to my Burke's overarm support? Please provide as much detail as possible, as this will be my first adventure with this adaptation.

Thank you.
Andrei

A couple of pics would help. How was the original vertical head attached ? Weight diff between the two ?

Back