What's new
What's new

Advice Requested on Reliable Replacement Air Compressor Pump

Ken Villars

Plastic
I have a DeVilbiss Pro 4000 vertical tank compressor (6.5 Hp, 60 gallon tank). It's been a good compressor, and I've had it for about ten years or so. In the past five years, I've been using it quite a bit - in fact I rely on it. In the past year, the pump has started to act a bit iffy, with oil lightly seeping at various places, and more and more oil in the tank when I drain it. I have also had to replace the one way check valve three times, at decreasing intervals. It seems to me to be time to repair or replace the pump.

I don't think I have time to learn how to repair the pump, though I might be able to find parts for it. A replacement pump would be about $400. The pump on this unit is a small aluminum two cylinder, single stage model, I think. It has a fairly small and inefficient air filter.

I've thought about buying a new, similar compressor from a box store, but from what I've researched, they aren't lasting for people more than a year or two, even with folks who aren't using them as much as I am (I fill the tank at least one to three times a day up to 125 psi, on average, with some days seeing quite a bit more use).

My decision, as I see it, is to either spend $400 for probably another five years or so of this type of usage (if I can locate a new pump), or try to find a really rugged industrial unit that may well run for decades, if maintained properly. If I spent the amount I would for a new compressor (say approximately $1000), maybe that would be a good idea?

I am not currently set up for three phase 220v power in my shop, but it is on the plan for the near future. Ideally, a single phase 220v solution would mean I wouldn't have to wait on that project (or have two large expenses back to back); but I won't reject three phase if that is the best way to go.

I'm not opposed to looking at used industrial units (pumps or complete compressors), but my budget is fairly firm, and I need to make sure I get a unit that will last and last if I spend that much.

I'd appreciate opinions or advice on this.

Thanks!

Ken

Got no advice for you. Budget is a little shy for what you're wanting to do. I'd say a little more money and $500 might be you something decent used. Stick to the big name brands. Quincy, Ingersoll Rand, Kaiser, Sanborn, etc. I would have said your Devilbiss compressor would have been a good one, but that's not proving to be the case. Surf craigslist. Tell the air compressor dealer or servicemen what you're looking for. They might could at least find you a used compressor that doesn't leak like a sieve.

I would think you should be able to find something 220V 1PH. And I would keep the old tank. Plumb it in for extra capacity.

I just went through the same search, wanting to buy a quality replacement pump for a 5HP compressor. Here's what I found:
1. You can buy a whole compressor on e-bay for less than you can buy a replacement pump.
2. Any US made pressure lubricated pump will cost at least $1,000.
3. Any loose pump that costs less than that is splash lubricated and of questionable origin.

I lucked into a 10 HP Quincey QR25 at a good price:cloud9: so decided to replace both smaller compressors... and it turned out to have a bad motor :angry: Then lucked into a good deal on a replacement motor, so all is well, but it still cost me close to $2.000 when all was said and done.

On your budget, and only needing 1 ph. just buy what the big box store has to offer. If you run it hard enough, maybe you can kill it and get a second one under the warantee.

Dennis

with that small of an electric motor, I would investigate
a Emglo replacement pump.

I'm not seeing anything of quality construction in size,
other than the above listed Emglo.

Lot of replacement pumps of that size around, a lot listed on e-bay... difficult to determine the country of origin, but easy to guess. Even "good brand" name no help anymore, the cheap junk in the big box stores has forced all the big names to bring their own cheap junk in to compete. For that reason alone, everybody's current stuff is suspect... testimonials on twenty year old equipment don't apply.

One of the brands I was searching was Saylor-Beall, a small domestic maker that used to have a good reputation. All their lower cost models now have "LP" in the part number... LP is LaPlante, a compressor "manufacturer" based in Texas... bet you can guess where those are likely made. Still, Mexican castings are likely better than Chicom junk, and I do see loose pumps offered on e-bay and other web sites, so that was my back up plan, which I didn't have to use, so I can't actually comment on the quality.

Dennis

I have quite old Ingersoll-Rand 5HP. Would highly recommend it. I got it used some 30 years ago and still running well with daily use.

Thank you, all, for your helpful advice.

I am now considering the idea that purchasing a used, quality USA made pump and having it refurbished to new condition might be the best way to spend my money. I will need to get the information off my motor and post it here and ask for help with what size/style pump it will run.

Last year, I purchased a large used tank, with the idea of connecting it to my 60 gallon tank to increase air capacity (which would have worn out my pump all the faster, apparently). The tank came with a large industrial looking pump that had a beefy three phase motor (7 or 10 HP, I don't recall exactly). I let the guy keep the motor for scrap to make the deal happen (this was before I had plans to install 3 phase in my shop)… I haven't tested the tank yet for safety (but will before I ever consider putting it into service), but now I am wondering if I could have the pump refurbished and possibly buy a motor to run it and still be in my budget. I will post info on that pump as well, later.

I will have to find a reliable and knowledgeable compressor repair shop in my area, as well, if this plan is to succeed. If anybody has a favorite such technician they know of in the Southern California area, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Ken

a larger tank can be easier on your motor... less starts and stops unless you are running the ragged edge already.

One unmentioned advantage of just buying another one - leave the old one hooked up for backup.....and automatic double your storage tank.

Probably a good idea to rebuild that pump. Be aware that if you run it at a lower RPM and/or lower maximum pressure you will not need as big a motor to run it. Also they have minimum rpm, go too slow and oil pressure is too low and/or oil ;splash is not enough to get oil where it needs to be.
I bought a rebuilt Quincy pump from Craig's list. It had no air filter so I added a oil bath air filter from a lawn tractor. I figure the extra oil in the intake air can't hurt.
This replaced a two cylinder Sanborn pump that needed a ring job and maybe bearings. They are out of business so the rings I could find might have fit and would have cost about $50.
Search this site for the article by Forest Addy about air compressors. You may want to mount the compressor outside, on the ground, and the tanks in the attic. Since you are in Riverside no worries about compressors being too cold and water freezing in the plumbing.
Bill D.

My shop runs off a older 7.5 HP Speed Air that the motor had burned up on it (literally scored earth), It has a fantastic 2 stage compressor head on it that look okay. Got it for a flat of beer. Through a 5 HP motor on it with a smaller shiv (about 70% reduction) to slow it down enough for the smaller motor to start and run. Cleaned out the valve train lapped the seats and valves back in as everything was full of fuzz from having a buggered air filter on it. Repurposed a sportbike air box to serve as the air cleaner as the old one was smashed. By the way the big intake box make the compressor way quieter (just like a muffler!), and it happened to have a K&N filter in it so I only have to change it every 1 million miles (haven't figured out how to calculate the mileage yet though :). This compressor has bin is service for about 7 years like this, used no oil to speak off, runs 2 cnc lathes, 2 cnc mills (one that runs air blast) and still has plenty of head room for the blow guns and die grinders.
So yea get yourself and iron head (2 stage if you can) used and fix it up they are available and cheap if you look. Also you can run them fairly slow but not to slow or lubrication my fail you.

Any Quincy QR-25 series pump used can be rebuilt, and
will last the average user his lifetime.

Single Stage models:
210, 216, 240, 270

2 stage models;
310, 325, 340, 350

A 310 or 325 would be ideal for you.
310= 2-3HP
325= 3-5HP
340= 5-10HP

All these are pressure lube and totally different animals
compared to the box store junk.
Check CL or EBAY and you will find one.

dk

Emglo makes a real nice 4 cylinder single stage that outputs a lot of air and with 4 cylinders it is fairly quiet.

They are in your general budget and will go at 5 hp so your motor is fine.

We have one on old home made compressor that really worked well until we upgraded to the big champion.

Any Quincy QR-25 series pump used can be rebuilt, and
will last the average user his lifetime.

Single Stage models:
210, 216, 240, 270

2 stage models;
310, 325, 340, 350

A 310 or 325 would be ideal for you.
310= 2-3HP
325= 3-5HP
340= 5-10HP

All these are pressure lube and totally different animals
compared to the box store junk.
Check CL or EBAY and you will find one.

dk

Lowe's is selling a Quincy Model #: 251CP80VCB for 1,900 is it also considered box store junk?

If buying used to not be fooled by Horse power ratings on older homeowner models. Sears and others lost a big lawsuit over inflated HP claims on compressors. The real horsepower was about 50% of the claimed HP. Just compare the amps at the same volts. Those cheaters do not list amps on the motor.
Bill D.

Thank you, all, for your helpful advice.

I am now considering the idea that purchasing a used, quality USA made pump and having it refurbished to new condition might be the best way to spend my money. I will need to get the information off my motor and post it here and ask for help with what size/style pump it will run.

Last year, I purchased a large used tank, with the idea of connecting it to my 60 gallon tank to increase air capacity (which would have worn out my pump all the faster, apparently). The tank came with a large industrial looking pump that had a beefy three phase motor (7 or 10 HP, I don't recall exactly). I let the guy keep the motor for scrap to make the deal happen (this was before I had plans to install 3 phase in my shop)… I haven't tested the tank yet for safety (but will before I ever consider putting it into service), but now I am wondering if I could have the pump refurbished and possibly buy a motor to run it and still be in my budget. I will post info on that pump as well, later.

I will have to find a reliable and knowledgeable compressor repair shop in my area, as well, if this plan is to succeed. If anybody has a favorite such technician they know of in the Southern California area, please let me know.

Thanks again.

Ken

I had a similar situation a while ago. I searched high and low for a replacement compressor, but most everything I found was of questionable quality. I ended up buying a used Henke Pacemaker 2 stage compressor. Henke is no longer in business, but made quality compressors in their day. They were headquartered in Milwaukee WI.

While doing research I found Henke like most compressor brands is made from off the shelf parts from component manufacturers. The actual compressor is a Kellogg, and the tank was made by Silvan Industries out of Marinette WI.

In reality there are only about 4 companies in the US that actually manufacture compressors. Kellogg is one of them. Even though the compressor I purchased was built in 1965 it still runs good. Kellogg sells compressors to a number of companies that build units from off the shelf parts. Parts are still available through a number of online suppliers. That has to say something for the quality of the machine if it's still in good condition after 50 years of service, and it's still supported.

Nothing wrong with a splash lubricated pump, per se. Sure, pressure lube is better, and you can monitor the lube pressure in real time to shut down and save the pump if the oil pressure drops, but if you keep the oil level up and don't try to run the pump slower than it's designed for, splash lube works. I have one, a Dayton brand that I believe is a re-badged Champion, that has run over twenty years in daily service with absolutely no down time.

And I should think that a company like Quincy, with a reputation to protect to maintain their commercial sales, would put more effort into making sure that even the less expensive products give decent service than the Wizz-Bang Compressor Co. Ltd,. who will just change their name after enough customers get pissed off.

Then again, the price on that Quincy at Lowes is almost twice what you can buy a new cheapie for; hopefully you get something of value for that extra money, but these days, with the MBA's running the world, it's hard to know.

Dennis

"Lowe's is selling a Quincy Model #: 251CP80VCB for 1,900 is it also considered box store junk? "

Yup, that and the Tractor Supply I/Rs. Chinese pumps that run too fast and cheap motors. That said, it may be like my chainsaw purchase years ago. I could not justify a $500 Stihl or Husquvarna, so I bought the super cheap $120 Poulan (definitely chinese). After 6 years, it still runs great. If it blows up tomorrow, I'm still out only 1/2 the price of a Stihl. If you are not going to be really dogging it, the big box compressor may be the ticket in that way.

I got a five year old brand new, but out of the box ( electrical box knockouts had never been removed and it had never been filled with oil) 7.5hp Campbell Hausfeld off ebay for $1200. Very happy with it.

Back