What's new
What's new

Advice on Setup for simple prototyping shop

arbengineer88

Plastic
Hey Guys,

I am one of the lead engineers for the process development depts of a medical device manufacturer.

We currently outsource our tooling and fixtures manufacturing and have no in house capability.

I am thinking about purchasing a basic set of equipment - I had 1 lathe, 1 manual mill and a press break in mind. This would be mostly used for prototyping and we would still use outside help to get final runs done at least at first.

We typically design in aluminum and 303 steel but do need to use other steel alloys at times (316L predominantly)

I have experience in design for manufacturing, and I have operated a mill and lathe before, as has one other member of the company.

I am looking for advice on equipment (what types / models that people like), some estimated used costs, whether this seems like a good idea at all?

Again, while we have some knowledge in house its slim at best. I think a lot of hands on will be in order. My intent would be to mostly have this available to try things out in metal versus jury rigging it.

Do you have enough repair or need simple parts to justify a couple guys in a machine shop? Design and manufacture of fixtures often includes welding, drilling, tapping, perhaps some surface grinding, heat treat..much using shop equipment common to the shop and not bought for just the one job so providing such can be an added expense..
Likely a 1036 (or larger) lathe with SAE and metric threading, a Bridgeport size mill, drill press, saw, work benches, welding and brazing station, and perhaps a surface grinder, lay out table and measuring tools for starters..

Qt: [Again, while we have some knowledge in house its slim at best] *It is not uncommon a dedicated prototype and fixture shop has a ton of knowledge for design and build.

How much are you spending on outsourced prototypes today?

I can see two guys with decent wages and benefits costing 200k/yr. Maybe 100-120k to setup a nice multifaceted shop with inspection equipment to let you work and prove to tenths?

That could be an awfully expensive first year, or not.

How big are the parts you need to make? This makes a huge difference in what you need to buy. I'm assuming you just want to make functional prototypes for testing and all "real" work will be contracted out to shops. If the work will be done by engineers there are no extra labor costs so it comes down to what is your budget and what is available used in the region. Larger used manual tools are often cheaper than the smaller ones desired by home shops so for a business there are usually enough savings to pay for riggers. Unless your parts are very tiny I would suggest at least a 12 x 36 lathe and a Bridgeport or similar sized mill. Probably the first step might be to research local machinery dealers.

Back