Advise required - Lathe Chip Guards - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John,
    Another home brew cheapo style. Not round, but it flips up and slides back out of the way and will move sideways. I just milled a square hole in the front part and have lexan windows in them. Held on by Ludwig clips so they're replaceable.

Chuck Fender Slideshow by rbehner | Photobucket
    Last edited by Ray Behner; 01-02-2018 at 06:46 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Behner View Post
    John,
    Another home brew cheapo style. Not round, but it flips up and slides back out of the way and will move sideways. I just milled a square hole in the front part and have lexan windows in them. Held on by Ludwig clips so they're replaceable.

Chuck Fender Slideshow by rbehner | Photobucket
    OEM ones on the French Cazeneuve are not as nice. Carriage-follower one flips up. HS twin rod mount is one-piece, only slides back, can be aggravating when dealing with chuck or change-out of it.

3. Likes Ray Behner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This thread got me to thinkin about one I have.... And I dont need it..
    Shipping might be costly,,

Flexbar Travel Guard for a 12" lathe

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Behner View Post
    John Another home brew cheapo style. Not round, but it flips up and slides back out of the way and will move sideways. I just milled a square hole in the front part and have lexan windows in them. Held on by Ludwig clips so they're replaceable.
    Hi Ray

Thank you for sharing your Chip Guard build and photo bucket images ... helpful and greatly appreciated. More to consider.

John

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lazz View Post
    Shipping might be costly

Hi Lazz ... Certainly I'd consider "used ones" from folk ... and would pay "International shipping" but I'm not going to pay a US$1000 + flying from Jersey (United KIngdom) to Phoenix even though I could tie it in with a DM photo tour

Thanks for the offer ... good luck selling it.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This might sound a bit bazaar but it works for me. I too got tired of picking chips out of my clothes, beard etc. I made a bracket over the headstock to hold a roll of saran wrap. I pull it down and clip it to the chip pan with two small magnets. When it gets funky from coolant I rip it off the box using the supplied cutter and pull down another clean sheet. The tension of the wrap coming out of the box is enough to keep it taught. It actually stops the chips and all the coolant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Crossthread
    Saran wrap???
    It really works? I envision those flying, blue chips destroying that thin, flimsy film in no time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes it actually works or at least for my class of work. I'm sure there are some folks throwing chips out there that look more like hot horseshoes. What I am dealing with is chips maybe on the order of 1/8" to not much more then 1/4" and it will definitely stop them and of course a large majority if not all the coolant. Works great on brass which is one of my least favorite of metals to turn due to the chip spray.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crossthread View Post
    This might sound a bit bazaar but it works for me. I too got tired of picking chips out of my clothes, beard etc. I made a bracket over the headstock to hold a roll of saran wrap. I pull it down and clip it to the chip pan with two small magnets. When it gets funky from coolant I rip it off the box using the supplied cutter and pull down another clean sheet. The tension of the wrap coming out of the box is enough to keep it taught. It actually stops the chips and all the coolant.
    Hi Crossthread

Thanks very much for your contribution, certainly sounds different ... any chance of a picture or two?

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a couple of these units that I got with a bunch of 9" South Bend parts I bought a while ago. They were mounted on a small home made stand which was screwed into the bench behind the lathe bed. They can be switched to mount on the opposite side as well. I'd certainly sell one if you're interested. I don't know what make/quality they are, but they seem to be fairly well made, and in good condition. Loosening the large nut allows it to rotate back 90* and be locked in place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn2280.jpg   dscn2281.jpg   dscn2282.jpg  

12. Likes Monarchist liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Smalls View Post
    I'd certainly sell one if you're interested.
    Hi Derek ... Thank you for the posting - PM on the way

John

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you considered just getting a hard hat with a flip up/down face shield? Extremely portable, and you can remove it when you're done with the rough cutting and need to lean in to see better. Make a convenient place to hang it so you can grab it on a moment's notice.

IMO a chip deflector needs to be pretty large on a lathe or you'd still have chips deflecting off various parts and coming out at you in unexpected ways. Thinking you're safe when you're not safe is a good way to get injured.

15. Likes Jersey John liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    Have you considered just getting a hard hat with a flip up/down face shield?
    Well that's certainly a different option ... really can only picture "a hard hat with a flip up/down face shield + "Ear protectors" to protect me from the wife

Seriously though I like your "out of the box" thinking but it does nothing for the hands/wrists ... maybe I'm getting soft in my old age but SS chips do pi** me off

Appreciate your input ... thank you!

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey John View Post

Seriously though I like your "out of the box" thinking but it does nothing for the hands/wrists ... maybe I'm getting soft in my old age but SS chips do pi** me off

Apprec

John
    I know what you mean John, the other week I had a big 660 bronze ''bush'' job - 10 off ex 4'' solid (that's what the client supplied :rolleyes: ) with a lot of external turning, and we all know how that stuff flies.

Having a threaded lathe spindle reverse running was out, but after a bit of ducking and diving I managed to get all the external work done with the rear toolpost and inverted tools - bliss .and with a bit of masking tape around the chuck and jaws down on to the part, and a bit of rag stuffed up the spindle the internal was nice and clean.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Saskatchewan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey John View Post
    Well that's certainly a different option ... really can only picture "a hard hat with a flip up/down face shield + "Ear protectors" to protect me from the wife

Appreciate your input ... thank you!

John
    How about a drape projecting over the top front of the apron? I'm thinking usually, you'd encounter hot chips while trying to disengage the feed clutch (lever/knob). So a piece of baler belting hanging over the front top edge of the apron maybe 3 or 4 inches would provide cover for the back of your hands. You'd have to figure out how to hold it on there, or make a quick removal system.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    I know what you mean John ... and a bit of rag stuffed up the spindle the internal was nice and clean.
    Ha ... "Heath Robinson" works again!