What's new
What's new

Aircraft cable with crimped brass end for rifle cleaning..

henry22

Plastic
Hey guys, brand new here. I thought this might be a good forum to join. I have some interest and "how to" questions regarding manufacturing techniques, and getting parts for different things.

If anyone can tell me please, where can I source weighted brass ends, that I can cut to size (shorter) to crimp onto the end of vinyl covered aircraft cable, or paracord?

As some of you may know, if you shoot, or hunt, there are several main vendors that offer cable and rope style pull through bore-snakes for cleaning rifles and handguns.

Examples:

Real Avid Bore Boss:
http://www.alloutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/boreboss03-660x455.png

Real Avid Gun Boss Pro:
http://www.guncleaningtips.com/wp-c...-Pro-Universal-Gun-Cleaning-Kit-7-500x500.jpg

Hoppe’s Bore Snake Viper
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/hiRes/62943.jpg

QUESTIONS:

How do you drill/tap a brass or steel barrel end weight, to thread onto aircraft cable? What kind of machine would you need to do something like this on your own?: http://www.otistec.com/images/FG-110_Front_Left_Display_Multi_Large-Multi.jpg

Thanks so much.

Vinyl covered aircraft cable? I think they call it 'clothesline'.

7 X 7 & 7 X 19 cable in both galvanized and SS, both bare and vinyl coated, is readily available in sizes From 1/16" to 3/8". It is commonly referred to as aircraft cable. Just sayin..............Bob

7 X 7 & 7 X 19 cable in both galvanized and SS, both bare and vinyl coated, is readily available in sizes From 1/16" to 3/8". It is commonly referred to as aircraft cable. Just sayin..............Bob

The key words being 'commonly referred to'.

I thought some aircraft cable was streamlined? I suppose that would be solid not really cables. I mean the kind used on a biplane to tie the wings to the fuselage.
Bill D

The key words being 'commonly referred to'.

Not looking to get in a pissing contest but while un-coated A/C cable IS typically used for A/C control and other force transmission usage there are other applications where coated cable is used.
Guy is looking to make a dohicky to clean a gun barrel. If he asks for A/C cable he'll likely find what he's looking for. If he asks for clothes line he likely won't. Peace..............Bob

Wow, that was an odd jumble of answers. The cable can be purchased at Home Depot. It's stranded, and vinyl covered. It's the same guage and type that these vendors use to make their "gun cleaning" cables. If you wanted to construct one on your own, what makes it a PITA, is finding not only a weight crimped end in the correct diameter, but also the other connectors that bridge each successive piece of wire together.

"Most" rifle cleaning kits, like the OTIS system use 8/32 threads, both male and female to attach each cable together. SEE:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/77/bf/50/77bf50f52b292fd74d67f492d9cb49f4--to-the-end-the-ojays.jpg This is a typical male thread, usually 8/32, with a receiving, recessed female thread at the opposite end.

SEE: Otis Techology "Rod vs. Cable" - YouTube You can buy these kits, and it's likely I will. They are basically a mini-drain snake, used in plumbing.

I was just curious as to how specialized these parts are. They don't seem to be, although I can't find them at any hardware store. You can see the same application in running wire into a house, using threaded rods to guide wire, or drill in awkward places.

If they're not easily found, how to make these connecting ends, or can they be purchased?

why not buy from Otis? interesting story, the product was invented by a 16 year old girl, late 80s, her dad Jerry Williams owned a screw machine shop that had gone under. he started over making these kits. his daughter [Darlene IIRC] really ran the company. we made the little zippered cases for them. Jerry died a few years ago and last I heard they had 150 employees.
anyways the point was that all the little brass fittings are custom made.

Hi surplusjohn, it's very likely I will be buying the otis kit for my rifle. The issue is this, on my particular rifle, a Henry Lever action .22 mag, the breech/ejection port is only 1 5/8th wide, from side to side. NO other cable pull through style will work, — except the Otis Small Caliber Rimfire system, which uses the same threaded adapters, and jags, brushes etc. However, this kit is designed for "limited breech" access rifles - like my Henry.

ONLY Otis makes a cleaning system called the FG-100, with shortened brushes for limited breech access rifles like the Henry lever action 22. The ONLY brushes that work with this kit are 1" long, instead of 2" long brushes. Their thread pitch is 5-40, for the shorter brushes, and not the more common and typical 8/32 pitch threads for 22 rimfire and a host of other calibers.

It would just be nice to have a shorter connector crimped on, drilled and tapped for 8/32 so I could use ANY other brush. If the crimped brass coupling collar was a bit shorter, then people could use any standard 8/32 brush.

With this Otis system and shorter brushes, you're forced to have use only Otis brushes. And as great of a system it is, that really annoys me.

Back