What's new
What's new

OT: printing PDF, no dimensions showing???

SND

Diamond
I'm trying to print a drawing on PDF that was sent to me, like I've done a few hundred times before. But for some reason when I print it, none of the dimensions that are on the drawing, and that are showing on the page set up, actually come out on the paper just the sketch of the part. I opened another drawing, prints fine. I tried a few things, no success. Anyone else have this happen before? I'm thinking its in how it was converted or something. Right now I'll just write them all down by hand on the drawing I guess.

Also none of the boxes from the drawing layout are coming up either, but the writing is there where the tolerance charts, drawing # and all that stuff is, just no lines to outline them. weird eh? anyone ever manage to fix that?

Was the pdf prepared from AutoCAD? I had exactly this problem when modifying drawings and exporting them from AutoCAD LT 2010.

For some reason unknown to me the original draughtsman had set a number of line widths to 0.00 mm, meaning that they were displayed on the screen but printed at zero width - invisible! The solution was to go through and set all line widths 'by layer'. As far as I recall, I did this by selecting the affected area and changing the line width setting in the toolbar. I presume you could do this for a whole drawing by selecting with the ctrl+A command.

Obviously you will have to go back to the originator of your drawing if this is the cause of your problem. Best of luck with it!

George

Its from solidworks. I restarted the computer just in case, but still no luck. So I'll do it by hand for now.

I found that decreasing the printer output from 600dpi to 300 dpi would improve the darkness of dimensions. But it may not help with invisible dimensions :D

The other thing that occasionally happens is the originating software uses a dark screen background, and the dimensions are in white, and now the printer is happily printing the white dimensions on white paper :crazy:

Unless you have Adobe software to edit the drawing, you may not be able to do anything about it from your end. best to get back to the originator of the drawings and ask hime to check the line weight and color settings for the dimensions.

Dennis

Take a look at the PDF print setting that prints colors as black. I had some fill in on line forms that didn't print because they were in color. Give it a try and let us know.

Back