What's new
What's new

looking for high sped low torque pneumatic motor

alonzo83

Stainless
We have a job that requires a nut to be spun down on a 1/2-13 x 5" eye bolt, the nut will be hand held hence low torque needed. can you think of any pneumatic motors I could mount to a table. we have to do about 2500 to 5000 of these at a time, so speed is important.

Before I got there they would start the threads and spin them down by hand.:nutter: I went and grabbed a couple 3/8" drills and some 1/4" round and bent a hook in it, set the clutch on the drill to lightest setting and hooked the eye through the rod and spun them down. Made the job quite a bit faster.

I would like to find something that spins up fast but stalls before ripping off a hand or jamming the threads up.

Thank you for reading and your spit balling is appreciated.

Air die grinders are fast and have low torque. Most come with a 1/4" collet.

I have a driver designed for eye bolts, but it is way too small for a 1/2" eye. Still, the design could be copied and made with a 1/4" shank. The driver is a Y shape, with the fork of the Y made hollow to fit over the top of the eye. It would slip off if the torque got too high, much safer than that L-shape driver you mentioned.

http://www.amazon.com/Y-Screw-Eye-D...=1380981309&sr=1-17&keywords=screw+eye+driver

Larry

31CPe5b5JoL._SX385_.jpg

just so happens that I have a broken impact sitting in my tool box, I like the driver idea too, makes it a lot safer.

Using an impact wrench, the driver can be made by milling a V or U notch straight across the end of an appropriate size socket.

Larry

Using an impact wrench, the driver can be made by milling a V or U notch straight across the end of an appropriate size socket.

Larry

Or, For "break away safety" Fix a plastic skirt with opposing slots to a socket with a hose clamp. the slots in the skirt drive the eye bolt, or done right, could drive the nut. two corners of the hex being pleanty to run down a nut over clean threads. (pvc or butyl)

Thank, you. I gutted the 1/2" impact with the broken trigger I had, it seems to provide a real close amount of torque, I can stop it with my fingers with a shop cloth. I built a mounting bracket out of aluminium and it is now fixed to the impact and the table.

When I was sixteen I would have never thought I might get a pay raise from screwing things better.

Or, For "break away safety" or done right, could drive the nut. two corners of the hex being plenty to run down a nut over clean threads. (pvc or butyl)

I should have given you more info. the nut is actually a handle that is much heavier than the bolt. radial speed would slow me down. I will be using your opposing slots for safty. thank you.

Other safety option might well be some kinda locking regulator, like this max torque can be calibrated to a safe value and secured there. Over here this is the exact kinda thing health and safety would be screwing you the new one over. Especially with the repedative strain risks of this kinda job.

there is very little risk of injury from strain, the way that they would grab the bolts and spin the handle up the threads was definitely going to give someone carpel tunnel.

I am almost worried the torque is not enough to spin the handles down with the threads that come on these bolts. Whoever cut the last batch of eye bolts did not check their tooling often enough and about 5-10% of them are not usable.

I would suggest an electric drive.

An air motor all day long is gonna use a bunch of air.

I have a friend that did just what you are having to do, I cannot devulge much,
but he did use a standard electric motor and his own version of a slip clutch.

Why not use an off-the-shelf tapping head clutch ? Like a Procunier unit ?
Push harder, more torque.

Made to do millions of operations.

[video]http://s72.photobucket.com/user/jones6037/media/VID_20131014_125409_612.mp4.html[/video]

Said suggestions really helped. The 1/2" impact with the guts modified a little worked very well. the trigger in my 1/2" impact was buggered up and stuck on wide open, it got wired to a foot pedal, the bolts get spun down with a tool i made from some 2" dia pipe cut on center with sides welded on. The person operating is about 120 lbs, 60 kg. holding the handle full speed.

Again, Thank You.

Last edited:

Back