What's new
What's new

New to machining - Warco lathe's

mechanoid

Plastic
Hello

First message here, new comer to machining and getting some gear together. Got myself some bits and pieces, but would appreciate a little advice on Warco lathes, does anyone know what is their current WM280 model.

:)

You cannot discuss warco equipment on this forum fella, the rules prohibit it - try homeshopmachinist. This post is sure to disappear shortly.

It's the genre of machine, oriental home-workshop non-production type machines, of which Warco is one, that are not allowed.

So is this one to much of a hobby machine or what?:

warcolathe.jpg

Phil:)

You cannot discuss warco equipment on this forum fella, the rules prohibit it - try homeshopmachinist. This post is sure to disappear shortly.

Until it becomes clear what an WM280 is you are probably below the radar. Unless somebody snitches on you. So what ever you do don't post a photo or say anything that indicates size. Anything over 600kgs should be safe, at least for a while, depending on the Man's mood.;)

Phil:)

Yup. Sorry Mechanold but the lathe you're looking at is in the verboten class.

http://www.warco.co.uk/productimages/documents/P27.pdf

I've run a good many like the one you're looking at and, except for power and being a bit small for my fat hands, I think they work pretty well, Asian or not.

I don't think it's quite fair. If you have to hang only with other noobs you never get exposure to those in the know - those who never look into the noob sites like on Yahoo. But this is Milacron's sandbox...

Mechanoid

I think the worst things are the flange mount spindle which will be a PIA when you need the 4 jaw on and the 50 rpm bottom speed. I reckon a metal stand would be a great help as it will twist all ways with the changing weather if you put it on a wooden bench. I've just looked on the Warco site and the stand is cheap enough.

A lot depends on what you want to do with it and what else you have. A model engineer is usually trying to push the envelope as he doesn't have a miller or whatever. This is where slotted cross slides score as you can strap a cylinder casting down and use a boring bar between centres.

If you don't talk crap and comply with the rules there are a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable folk on here, some of whom will be very helpful. It is always worth heeding what Forrest has to say.

All the best
Steve

Back