What's new
What's new

Anilam DRO (WIZARD 150 PLUS) distress...help!!

durad

Plastic
All, I have a vintage "Wizard 150 Plus" on my Bridgeport that was working great about 6 months ago. I stopped using it for that period of time, only to find that now when I turn it on, only the X axis readout functions properly. The Y axis readout is there on the screen, indicating zeros for location, but it won't change as I move the table. I've performed the diagnostic testing per the manual and it has not detected an error. Simply all zeros, nice and bright. I cleaned the reader surface but I didn't try to remove it all the way. Cleaned the connectors..ditto. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try switching the X and Y connectors on the back of the unit.

See if the scale or the readout is the trouble.

I swapped connectors and the results remained with the "Y" readout at zeros and the "X" readout indicating, BUT with the different table movement. Not sure I explained that too well: the X readout Indicates movement with only one connector while on X or Y table direction movement, when swapping connectors. At no time does the other cable/connector/reader ever indicate on the Y or the X. Just seems like the one reader might be faulting?

I swapped connectors and the results remained with the "Y" readout at zeros and the "X" readout indicating, BUT with the different table movement. Not sure I explained that too well: the X readout Indicates movement with only one connector while on X or Y table direction movement, when swapping connectors. At no time does the other cable/connector/reader ever indicate on the Y or the X. Just seems like the one reader might be faulting?

Although your explanation is a little muddy, It sounds like when you swapped the XY connectors (assuming you did that at the head and not the sensors) the readings were the same, Y axis still shows zeroes but the X display outputs the (now) Y axis. If this is true the problem is in your head. Swapping the cables at the head and getting your results demonstrates that both cables and sensors are still working.
I knew that logic class I took and hated in college would pay off someday!

Thanks for the reply Porschefix...now, assuming that's the problem (and it seems rational to me) what do I do? Are there people out there who troubleshoot the electronics (reasonably priced) of these older units? Is there a way for a DIY'er to troubleshoot them?

This question is deeper than my knowledge goes. First look at the connectors to see if there are any bent or broken pins on the Y axis input, I don't know if those would be male or female. I would probably take the dang thing apart myself and not find anything but maybe. . . You never know. I am NOT an electronics expert or even a reasonable facsimile of an amateur. But, I looked up the Acu-Rite website and they have a phone number, 1-847-490-1191 or ANIMLAM User Support :: Acu-Rite
It shows they offer some degree of support.
Good Luck,
Ron

P.S. I am surprised there are no replies from the others who know about these things.

You are gonna be looking at a couple hundred bucks on the repair of this, if it is possible. Anilam doesn't support that model any longer. Basically for DRO's, if it isnt the 411, 550, or 1000 (basically the Acu-Rite VUE, 200S, or 300S) there is no support for it. All Anilam scales and DRO boxes are interchangeable with the Acu-Rite scales and vica versa.

Have you checked the 5VDC signal between pics C and D on the connector going to the Y axis scale?

Jon

Jon, I haven't checked that yet. You're right on the "...if it is possible..." part. So far, I'm not having any luck with Acu-Rite on the repair or even diagnosis. I sure hope it's salvageable. It's been a great little old tool for a long time. THanks for your recommendation.

Back