What's new
What's new

Holding tight parallelism and perpendicularity in aluminum??

rockfish

Titanium
I've run into a few details lately, made of 6061, that have parallelism and perpendicularity called out to within .0005 on aluminum details...........and wondered how you address this situation??? While I have ground a few aluminum details using 3M double faced tape, this is not a fun procedure. I had tried using green wheels, as suggested here on the forum before, and they didn't work at all. I finally resorted to using the same wheels I use to grind steel and used liberal amounts of cutting oil to keep from loading up the wheel. The biggest problem I had, actually, was removing the parts from the magnet. The tape I have sticks like crazy, and you run a serious risk of damaging both magnet and part trying to remove them.

So........what do you do ???

Frank

Home

Options

Slap the engineer that thinks that tolerance is necessary/can't figure out a work-around, and is maintainable across various environments. Ever since they learned about tenths, they think it is necessary to call them out. Of course this is a gross generalization, but it's Friday and I'm punchy and engineers generally, ummm, harsh my mellow with their rigidity, robotic conformity and bad haircuts. :crazy: Dang, I made myself a little dizzy there ;)

Use a vacuum table instead of tape, or build a little nest on a mag plate with paralells or :eek: consult an engineer...:bawling:

Hey Mr. Moderator, do I get a prize for using that many smilies? :D

Hey Mr. Moderator, do I get a prize for using that many smilies? :D

You are too new to remember Mitty... He took All the prizes already.
RIP Frank.

As for the parts, it you can make the parts 5 sides at once, in one setup, you might win the battle the easy way. Flip, and snip the last side.
CNC is your friend.

Maybe make a small flattened tip air blaster OSHA unimproved..lol..I have stripped paint this way. Be careful not to shoot grit under the ways... I find Acetone removes glue quite well. Make sure you have your safety glasses on too.... good Luck

Back