What's new
What's new

Anodize issues in Dallas

jccaclimber

Stainless
I'm having parts anodized in small quantities (5-10). Parts are 6063 and 6061, both T6. Both parts fit in a 4" diameter 1" thick space. Clear anodize, no cosmetic requirements. The problem we are having is inconsistent growth/shrinkage.

The first time we sent the parts to the anodizer they came back smaller (20 microns) rather than larger. We asked about this and discovered that we needed to specify "clean, no etch", and the parts would come back bigger. The second time they did, but they have been inconsistent since then. I can't keep ruining $2000 batches of prototype parts in anodize. Too much growth would be acceptable as I can do a couple microns of cleanup after the parts are complete if needed.

My company anodizes a similar part as a production operation 24/5 and gets a consistent part growth of 5-11 microns, but does so in Germany so using them isn't a practical option.

1) Is there anything different I should specify, or is this not an achievable thickness requirement?
2) Can anyone recommend a place in the DFW area they recommend? If not perhaps someone I can mail parts to?

If you're telling your anodizer what you said here and they are unable to achieve it, I would go elsewhere.

We use Pioneer Metal Finishing. There isn't one in the Texas area, but they are able to do what you need and do good work.

We used to anodize parts to close tolerance. I would take the class XX ring gauges to the platers and check them as they came off the racks to get the size correct. So many seconds of etch with so many minutes anodizing. After the parts were coming out correct I would go back to our shop. Later we would stay and help rack and unrack the parts.
Our parts were 4 to 6mm in diameter, so temperature was no big deal. Four inches, how could you or the plater hold that 6 microns without temperature control in their facility? The anodizers I use basically have open air facilities to carry off the fumes.

We used to anodize parts to close tolerance. I would take the class XX ring gauges to the platers and check them as they came off the racks to get the size correct. So many seconds of etch with so many minutes anodizing. After the parts were coming out correct I would go back to our shop. Later we would stay and help rack and unrack the parts.
Our parts were 4 to 6mm in diameter, so temperature was no big deal. Four inches, how could you or the plater hold that 6 microns without temperature control in their facility? The anodizers I use basically have open air facilities to carry off the fumes.

The tight tolerance is on the thickness and on one hole diameter, not diameter of the entire part. I was trying to give a general idea of part size. The parts are held to a tighter than final thickness tolerance before anodizing to allow for some anodize variation.

You can specify .0001-.0002 build up especially with clear anodize/iridite. If they can't do that consistently then your vendor doesn't care or doesn't have adequate staffing which typically is an issue also.

We have recently used Texas Precision Plating without any problems. They haven't done anodize for us, but it is listed as a process that they do.

I'm going to try Anodiscs in Fort Worth next month. I'll let you know how the parts come out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back