Another Kurt vise ressurection KURT II PT600 - Warning, photo heavy - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bjorn toulouse View Post
    Yeah man!! That tool took a pretty stout bite!
    Yeah, and came to a very sudden stop, too. From contact to full stop was less than a third of a turn. If the
    spindle was crankin' over very fast that would have been very stressful...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a Kurt where the leadscrew is rusted into the cast iron carrier (not sure of nomenclature) Will this penetrate down into a rusted thread? I kind of dought it, but maybe worth a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That divot on the movable jaw isn't a big deal, only a minor scrape. I saw a big Cinncinatti vertical with a 2" EM break a counter balance chain and drop into the vise and part running top speed. Went all the way through the part and about 3/4" into the bed of the vise before it stopped, that was a divot!
    I found one of those vises at a live auction and bought it dirt cheap and love it, so much so that I went and bought a new 4" Kurt II for use on the smaller machines I had. That new vise came with a wound stainless spring cover over the screw that is nice but it may be a problem later if it gets messed up.
    Those Kurt II vises are a totally different design that their bench mark series. The thrust bearing is in the solid jaw and the screw pulls the moveable jaw instead of pushing it towards the solid jaw. Also ground for use on every surface except the end where the handle goes. Those vises are two tools I will only sell after everything else goes out the door and I have absolutely no need for them.
    Dan