What's new
What's new

Any body know anything about Quenchol?

antiquedan

Plastic
A friend just bought a old oil distributor wearhouse that has 5 drums of Lyndell Quenchol 6038 and wants me to dispose of it. I can not find any information about it or what industrial purpose it was use for. Thanks in advance for any advise or info or if anyone has an interest in it

Sent from my NS-P16AT08 using Tapatalk

Thank both of you for the links, you are correct the product is lyondell , spell check likes the word Lyndell for some reason.

This oil must of been replaced by new versions since y2k for some reason. I put a drum on eBay and have had no response yet.

Thanks again for the info and your patience with a new member.

Since I've ended up with 5 drums of this Quenchol, of that no one has a use for. Could it be used for part cooling in place of a bucket of water? Or would it heat treat anything dipped in it ?
I would hope to see a potential improvement over a ever evaporating and rusty bucket of water, that is till I trip over it and have a oil spill.

You could certainly use it for part cooling, but it won't work as quickly as water since heat transfer into the oil is slower.

There's no problem with a part inadvertently getting hardened. First, the part won't get hot enough from grinding or milling to harden. Second, if it's not turning hard being cooled in water is SURE won't do it in oil. The hardening process for carbon in steel requires a certain rate of cooling, depending on other elements present in the alloy. Some formulations require the fastest possible cooling (as in water quench) and even that can be accelerated a little by using brine to reduce steam bubbles that have an insulating effect. Everything after that is slower cooling, oil, followed by air. No worries on that account.

Thank you TGTool for the info, unfortunately ,I learned today of a side effect related to using this oil in place of water... Man what a mess!!.. evaporating water is a good thing after all..

Back