What's new
What's new

Any experience with Abanaki ChillyBits air cooler?

tof1

Aluminum
I need to drill 150 3" x 1/2" holes in 3/4" diameter steel rod. My lathe is not enclosed and I don't want coolant flying everywhere. I was thinking about getting a Kool Mist setup and turning the water as low as possible but then I came across the ChillyBits air cooler. Doesn't say how it works but it looks like you just hook air up and go... http://www.abanaki.com/brochures/ChillyBits.pdf

Anyone have any experience with something like this? Seems too good to be true.

It's a hilsch vortex tube.

It will not help get the chips out, it will not provide any lubrication.

cobble come sheet metal or thin plastic shields (held with some dollar store magnets)
to keep the slop down.

It also takes LOTS of air to get it to function properly. I was looking at one but decided I would have to upgrade my compressor and even then the benefits were questionable, as per digger doug.

-Ron

Thanks for the insight guys. I'll go ahead with the Kool Mist.

First take a look at the Fog Buster sprayers. They work great with aluminum, use very little shop air and you will get rid of fog fumes in the work area.

Also you can spray with any flood coolant. With mist you would need special coolant formulas.

First take a look at the Fog Buster sprayers. They work great with aluminum, use very little shop air and you will get rid of fog fumes in the work area.

Also you can spray with any flood coolant. With mist you would need special coolant formulas.
I did look at the Fog Buster and they're 3x the price. I've used Kool Mist in the past and can adjust them to spray droplets instead of mist if needed. Thanks though

Back