What's new
What's new

Lathe shavings?? or what is it called

Dag S K

Aluminum
Hi, as a native Norwegian I need to ask for help to find current expressions. Could you please tell me: What will be the current expression for the shavings coming when you are working at the lathe?

Thank you
Dag S Karlsen

The question did not specify material. The previous answers were certainly valid for metal turning. I wonder if serious professional wood turners have a different answer. Shavings, chips and sawdust are words used by wood workers, for instance, but may not all apply to turning.

Larry

A local retired machinist here, native of Turkey, referred to swarf as "chaff" when I bought my Clausing from him. I always thought of chaff as longish strips of aluminum that Allied bomber crews dropped from their planes to disrupt German radar during WW2.
He laughed at that.

In the UK usually 'swarf', sometimes 'turnings'. I've never heard it called chaff, but since chaff is traditionally the husks and other inedible stuff left after threshing grain, it's a quite logical choice of word.

George

I always thought of chaff as longish strips of aluminum that Allied bomber crews dropped from their planes to disrupt German radar during WW2.
He laughed at that.
That is the first thing that pops into my mind when the word is heard/seen but then the
the one about residue from threshing grain. I guess it depends on your previous life. :-)
...lew...

Depending on the shape, if the chip fits the description 6's and 9's is used at times :-)....if I told a fellow worker that Jim had a coughing fit, and passed out and fell off his stool face first into a pile of 6's and 9's....the older guys would know exactly what I meant (they had to pull them out of his face because they were some nice 1/4" wide blue ones from the Bullard)

I guess most of my life the term has been "chips"....."swarf" to me seems like dust, like from grinding for example.

People using "shavings" more so to me anyway would be folks not born into the trade, they did not learn to spit out a hot chip before it burnt their mouth before age 5 hehe :-).

Some kinds of steel, 12L14 for example known as leadalloy are described as "short chip materials" because they do not typically form long stringy (dangerous) chips.

Bill

Back